Chapter 6: Be a Better Person

A couple of weeks had passed since the exam, and everyone at the Lycans was fiercely hungering for me to get the much-awaited letter in an almost irksome manner. On the other hand, I was bored to death, hanging around HQ for days now, as I wasn't allowed to go on a mission anymore.

Then, one morning, I heard someone rapidly stomping in the corridor in front of my room, and all so suddenly, my door cracked open, and a flustered Pinkie rushed in, holding a small envelope in her right hand. "O...Od...Odin-Chan !!! It's arrived! The letter from U.A. is finally here!! Gyaaa! I can't take it!!" She squealed in excitement.

My heart fell into my stomach upon seeing her wave around that tiny white letter. My reaction was way different than I had expected it to be, far more anxiety-inducing. I hesitantly picked the envelope out of Mika's hand and turned it over, the red wax seal evincing the school's emblem.

Mika stepped back without a word, leaving my room and giving me some privacy. My heartbeat thrummed in my ears, heating my entire face. I slowly closed my eyes, inhaling deeply one last time before ripping the envelope open at once. I removed the letter, and my widened eyes fell on the first words written down:

"Congratulations, Miss Hamahiru,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to Yuei (U.A) High School, Heroic Department. You will find enclosed an explanatory hologram and the list of all necessary steps to undertake before Term start, 1st of April.

Yours sincerely,

Principal Nezu"

I calmly put the letter on the side of my desk and activated the Hologram, which, weirdly enough, was presented by the one and only All Might. Is All Might the official U.A sponsor now? Is this supposed to galvanize the future students? I awkwardly raised my eyebrows at the Big Guy's speech.

Once the projection ended, I just sat still for a couple of minutes, my eyes glued to the paper written in blue ink.

So, this is it, huh... Shouldn't I feel more excited? Sure, it was a stress-inducing moment when I saw the letter, but it just confirms that my own estimates were more than accurate because I already knew that I'd be in. So, it actually doesn't really come as a surprise. I bet Mika and Frej are already all over the place... I better go down and make the announcement...

I grabbed the piece of paper and pushed my chair back to stand up and head toward the living room. Loud chattering was echoing from downstairs, but as soon as they heard me coming down the steps, silence took over them. Mika jumped up, gulping hard and clenching her fist in front of her chest "Sis? You alright?" All of them gave me a most serious look, apprehending my answer.

I rubbed the back of my neck, feeling a bit overwhelmed by all their eyes on me, and I muttered, "Uhh... Guess I am in...."

Their jaw dropped to the ground before they all broke out in an outburst of joy and hurray-jumps. I watched them going berserk while covering my ears with both hands to mute the loud shrieks of happiness. While looking through the room, my eyes stopped over Lyra, who was propped up against the wall in the back of the living room, peering at the scene with her keen eye. When she noticed my gaze, she gently smiled, giving me a congratulating nod.

That night, we had the lushest party ever. We shared laughs and songs, we ate, and we danced. All the Lycans were brimming with excitement, and everyone's thoughts were intertwined.

A little past midnight, I stepped outside for a while. It was late February, and the night breeze bit my cheeks with its frosty teeth. I sat on the steps at the front door and glanced heavenwards at the galaxy blue sky. A heavy breath escaped my mouth and instantly transformed into polar-white miasma. I buried my chin and mouth in my scarf and pulled my knees in an embrace.