Chapter 8: I'm in Control

"Looks like the boys are already on the field!" Uraraka commented, her deer eyes obviously
looking for someone in particular. The girls joined the boys, who were already facing Pr.Aizawa.

"Now that you're all here, we'll do... lets' say a quirk-based gym test" his monotonous voice left most students puzzled. Uraraka elevated her eyebrows " Hold on a sec, what about the entrance ceremony? Or the Guidance Sessions?" she tried to clarify.

His toneless response didn't take long. "No time to waste on that foolish stuff if you want to become heroes." We learned that U.A has a rather eclectic way of teaching, with most teachers having complete freedom of action. "As such, if any of you do not appreciate my subtle way of running this class, you're... free to leave" he smirked deviously at us.

Aizawa's rationality wasn't anything new to me, and it hadn't changed a bit since I last interacted with him, a rough year prior. This was one of the features I considered particularly compelling about him. Be that as it may, his excessive level-headedness was obviously very unsettling to some other students.

He asked the blond Urchin, Bakugo, to lead the way and give us a demonstration. The latter was more than happy to oblige and added quite a 'boom' to his pitch. Wow. He sure got some moves. His throw impressed the lot, and they were now wholly fired up. 

Aizawa being the jerk he is, seized this opportunity to add a touch of sadism to the experiment. "Oh, I see... you think this three years of Hero training will be all fun and games, huh? Right. The one ranking last will be deemed hopeless and will be expelled."

Ouch. Classic Aizawa gambit. A commotion broke out among the students, resulting in a perfectly weighted mix of excitement and terror. I risked a glimpse across my school mates faces to assess their level of torment. I'd give everything to be able to read their minds without having to touch them right now.

But I couldn't. Telepathy, you see, belonged to my restricted quirks and was safely controlled by one of Frej's restraint sigils, which was tightly bound to my nervous system and made it very difficult to remove. 

In fact, I was only able to activate Telepathy for five miserable minutes, and if I wanted to read others' minds, I needed prior physical contact with them. Should the person become aware of my intrusion, the telepathic link would deactivate unless they wanted to maintain it. 

Also, if one had been previously in contact with me and wanted to get in touch again telepathically, all they needed to do was calling out my full name. This effect wore off after six months or so. Other than that, I had the ability to communicate my own thoughts with everybody I wanted to. But again, only for 5 minutes.

Of course, these limits didn't apply to my unrestrained ability. That's why it was so dangerous. In its "natural" state, my Telepathy allowed unrestricted access to people's minds whenever I would lock eyes with them. This inevitably enabled me to manipulate their thoughts and control their minds. So, yeah. Pretty dangerous, unethical, you name it. 

Not to mention the detrimental consequences on my own body, or more precisely, my brain. Using Telepathy too frequently would eventually damage my brain and lead to general mental instability. Having the restraint sigil was therefore protecting both me and the others.

Anyways, while I was observing everyone's behavior, my gaze stopped on Midoriya, who looked like he was about to have a fit. His face was almost translucid, and his body kept shaking non-stop.

Gee. I don't know how he managed to get from quirkless to quirk-holder, but he really needs to get a grip now. He didn't seem to be able to control his quirk yet, which earned him several broken bones, if I remember well.