Chapter 7: Hit the Ground

Time skip - 1.5 months

The big day was dawning at last, and the shrill beeping of my alarm clock jolted me out of my slumber. I stretched my arms and legs in opposite directions and cracked my vertebrae, moaning in satisfaction.

As requested in the acceptance letter, I submitted measurements to the school to tailor the uniform to my size. I had received the parcel containing it a couple of days earlier.
It was laid out neatly on my desk, waiting to be put on.

After the most refreshing shower, I stepped back into my room, dropped my towel on the floor, and slid on every piece of clothing with great care. Once I finished adjusting my tie, I took a final glance into my mirror, admiring the details of my first ever uniform.
Looks nicer than I expected... though grey isn't exactly my color.

As soon as I arrived in the living room, I was greeted by a deafening screech from a certain pinkette "Gyaaaah! Siiis! You defo look like a ten !!!"

My squinted eyes shot at Frej. "The hell is she saying?" The dark blond bodybuilder quizzed, "Why you're looking at me, her gibberish never makes sense to me!"
"That's because, behind that flawless body of yours, there's the soul of an old codger hiding!" Then, they started their daily bickering, the sound of which cornered up my lips.

I let them finish their catfight and headed towards the kitchen to grab a toast and an apple for the road. Everyone seemed so busy already that I decided to leave without bothering them.

I had already taken a few steps along the road when I heard a holla "Hey Thirteen! Heading out so soon?" When I turned around, the whole crew was standing in front of the door.
Lyra asked me sarcastically, " Did you really think you'd sneak out on your first day of school without us noticing?

I looked at all their earnest faces and mumbled, " I mean... you all seemed busy, and I... didn't want to impose... I guess..."

"When will you get it through that thick skull of yours? We are a family, right? Family cares about each other because it's the most precious thing we have in the world, or did you forget?"

My lower lip trembled as I watched them all regrouped to wish me luck for this new phase of my life, their intensive gazes showering my body with energy and warmth. "You guys... I..." hot tears of joy slid down my flushed cheeks.

Lyra then added a final thought " You might have asked to walk this path on your own, but know in your heart that you're never alone. We stick together, and we'll always be your strength !"

I couldn't believe how lucky I was to have been found by such outstanding people and that I was allowed to call them 'family.' I wiped my tears and clenched my fists in determination.

" Good LUCK Sister!!" they chanted in chorus, flashing the most endearing smiles.
I thankfully bowed my head and turned back on my way, without a word, because words were needless when there was such a deep connection.

Good luck, sweet girl, your family is with you. There's nothing to fear... Lyra's gaze stuck on my wilting silhouette.

I took the subway to reach Musutafu. I wasn't used to be pressed up against the morning commuters, the inaudible chatter of adults and school kids tackling their daily races, the smell of coffee-to-go, risking being spilled with every rattling of the rails.

"Musutafu Station, please beware of the gap" I stepped out of the crowd and exhaled sharply.
I checked the time on my phone, and it was still early, so I opted to walk up to U.A instead of taking the bus.

The more I closed up to the school, the more identical uniforms I spotted.
That road is pretty busy, huh... I wonder if I'd be able to find a shortcut through that nearby forest... I'll try it sometime... I thought to myself.

I entered the school building and started looking for my assigned classroom - 1-A. I eventually found it and paused for a few seconds before opening the handle of that outrageously big door. Taking a shy glimpse inside the room, I noticed that some students were already there, but it was still half empty.