Chapter 4: Entrance of the Conflagration

Time skip - 8 months

The day of the entrance exam was finally knocking on my mental door. It was almost dinner time at the Lycans', and I caught a whiff of the pre-exam feast my family had been preparing through the entire afternoon. "Don't you come down until we say so," Frejus and Mika solemnly commanded earlier that day, "The day before your exam should be spent in quiet contemplation, gathering strength and meditating."

They are taking this whole exam preparation way too far, if you ask me... I mused, slumping over the edge of my tiny bedroom window, my head lazed over my crossed arms. The sun was slowly setting, and while I glimpsed at the last rays trailing over the fiery sky, I could feel my stomach being slowly knotted by a giant fist of anticipation. I tried to push back this dreaded sensation all day long, but it finally spread throughout my body, leaving it in a jittery state.

Why am I even nervous for crying out loud? I know that I will gather just enough points to get accepted. That's what my whole scheme is all about - don't stick out of the crowd but always succeed. I am smart enough to pull off this modus operandi...

My mental anguish was soon disrupted by stinging knocks on my wooden door. My ears picked up a dimmed voice. "May I come in?"

My head tilted backward, and I chimed out, "Suit yourself...."

The door creaked open, and a dulcet tone met my ears. "Hey Lassie... you've been unusually compliant today? Never thought you actually abide by those two's instructions." Lyra gently teased while approaching me.

The fading skyline absorbed my eyes, and I stoically grunted, "Yeah, well... I wasn't exactly in an arguing mood, and you all of all people know how Bert and Ernie can make you fit to be tied...."

An amused grin blossomed on Lyra's face, and she put her hand on my back. "Edgy much?" She paused for a split second, joining my admiration for the unfolding twilight. "You have nothing to be afraid of, Poppet. Even though you were pretty clear about the role you expect us to play in this well-wangled machination of yours, we'll always be there for you."

I was intrigued by her words and shot her a sidelong glance but remained tongue-tied and hesitant towards her. She knew that the seasoned introvert I was, had the unhealthy habit of keeping everything to herself. She also knew that I would do everything to keep my family out of danger.
The grey-haired matriarch's nostrils released a deep sigh. "Tomorrow, you're going to pass that exam in the blink of an eye. And then... in a few weeks, you'll get your results, and well, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about in the first place... "

I always prized Lyra for her ability to turn simple words into meaningful phrases. She knew me better than I knew myself in an almost eerie way. I'd blame that on her sixth wolf sense.

"Now, I'll suggest you cleanse yourself from whatever hesitant thoughts you're currently plaguing yourself with by coming downstairs and enjoying the most succulent dinner the guys prepared for you... that an idea?"

I finally edged around, and her intense gaze pulled mine towards her " Sounds... like a plan..." my lips faintly arching up.

The atmosphere that filled the living room that night was warm and comforting. A blend of laughter, banter, and hearty aromas enwrapped us for an evening. It indeed was the perfect ending of eight intensive training months and a night to remember.

The morning of the entrance exam was dawning, and my body was softly roused by the sun's rays seeping through the window shutters. I felt like going for an early run to let the crisp morning air awaken my spirits.

Back at the HQ's, everyone was still asleep. I showered and packed my bag with the sportswear that we were supposed to bring along. My mind and body felt ready to tackle this new adventure, and I headed downstairs, where the mixed smell of bacon and freshly made pancakes tickled my nostrils. My feet robotically walked me into the kitchen. Mika was at the counter steadily chopping some veggies and didn't notice my presence.