Chapter 21: Cruel Irony

The following morning, the sun's rays shone through the slightly parted curtains, titillating my eyelids, and I covered them with my forearm to dim the morning glow.

It was around 10 am, our 'rest' day. As I lazily lay on my bed, I knew that I'd eventually have to face Lyra and Frej about yesterday's happenings. I brushed my shoulder, and the skin around the sigil was still pretty sore.

Damnit. If these sort of things keep on happening, and I reckon they will... the damage will become irreversible. I need to talk about it with the old crone. The power of my quirks has to be increased.

I pulled a face at the idea of having to convince the 'board' about that specific inquiry, for I knew perfectly well I would be up against stiff resistance. I eventually mustered up the courage to leave the warmth of my bed and enter the cold air of my room.

I reached over to my phone only to see an unread text. Weird. I don't usually get texted. The only people having my phone number were the Lycans, I wondered who that might be. Oh, right. Ochaco. I forgot that we exchanged contacts that one time I visited her. Her contact name popped up on my screen, and a smirk tugged at the corners of my mouth, remembering as to why I had saved it that way.

The Bubbly one:
Hi Odin, you okay? I didn't get to see
you much after exiting USJ. Just wanted
to check on you 😅

I hovered my fingers over the keyboard, faltering for a moment. It felt oddly satisfying to receive a text from someone other than my family, someone who might become a good friend with time. A warm sensation spread inside my chest, and I realized just how out of touch I still was with normal life.

Me:
Ochaco, Hi. Got some treatment from Recovery G. I am fine, tho. You?

The Bubbly one:
Always short and sweet with
you 😌 Glad to hear it. My parents
came as soon as they heard. I am
happy they're here. I'm sort of still shaken, though. It just feels weird.

Me:
How do you mean?

The Bubbly one:
Nothing 😅 Forget about it.
So, any plans for today and
tomorrow?

My jaw clenched at her question, Ugh yeah? Getting over those creepy pictures still swirling around my head-Bloody hell, girl.

Me:
Nothing, really. Probably need to chat with
Lyra about yesterday.

Ew, I really suck at texting.

I put my phone down and headed for the shower. When I removed the bandage from my arm, the sigil was still surrounded by blackish-purple streaks, as if poison had gnawed the flesh under my epidermis.

Frej's quirk is disgusting, I frustratingly brooded.

As the hot water gently burned my skin, I couldn't help but mull over the villains' words.

They were going on and about good and evil and that All Might supposedly is a tool of oppression. Violence only begets more violence... I have a feeling the real hell is yet to come.

That last thought triggered goosebumps along my spine, which I vigorously tried to wash off with the citrus-smelling foam.

I finally summoned enough bravery to head down and deal with what was coming up next. But when I entered the living room, my whole body stiffened.
"What the actual hell?" My screeching voice startled the happy group sitting around on the sofa. I couldn't believe it; there he was, as happy-go-lucky as ever, Kirishima.

"Oh, hey, Sis! Your friend came over to check on you! Isn't he the sweetest?" Mika chirped like a nightingale, to which my lips pinched into a rigid half-line, "hmm... hardly."