Chapter 12: Pandora's Box

After reviewing all the fights, Professor Aizawa revealed the next crucial activity of our high school life, that is, the school representative election.

Much to my amazement, this announcement caused a major uproar throughout the classroom. It so happened that being the class representative in this school provided you with extra visibility within the hero community.

Everyone else in the class was going ballistic, but this particular task was not my kind of gig. It just didn't fit in with my goals. Finally, it was decided to choose the rep through democratic voting, thanks to Iida, who suggested this method, though not entirely out of selflessness.

Once the votes were counted, the choice of the representative was unforeseeable, to say the least. It so happened that Midoriya obtained the most votes, a total of three, followed by Yaoyorozu, receiving two votes.

A very shaky Greenie reluctantly accepted the role, which caused mixed reactions, notably from Bakugo, mostly negative though, and quite cheerful vibes from some others.

Resting my cheek on my palm, I eagerly followed the unfolding scene when my eyes were suddenly drawn to the scoreboard, and I started speculating on who had voted for those two.

During lunchtime, I joined Ochaco, Midoriya, and Iida. I began eating my Udon silently, listening to Midoriya's anxiety discharge regarding his newly appointed responsibility. Iida reassured him and admitted voting for him at the same time. I looked up at him. Hmm... that's what I thought.

His confession slightly unsettled Deku. "But, I thought you voted for yourself, Iida?"

I grabbed my glass of water. "Actually, I did, Midoriya." and took a sip of the cold beverage.

All three of them stared at me in surprise before Iida robotically exclaimed, "Hamahiru! You're heaven-sent! Thanks to you, my confidence isn't entirely blown to shreds!"

"Let's say I trusted you to be the least likely to screw things up, from what I saw so far. No offense, Greenie."

The freckled boy chuckled nervously. "Ahah... none taken, Hamahiru..." He then looked sideways, scratching his chin. "I wonder who else voted for Yaoyorozu and me...?"

I rolled my eyes skywards, wondering how he could be so brilliant and so clueless at the same time. " Well, It's rather obvious, isn't it?" They all turned their attention back to me, and Midoriya stuttered, "Y..You figured it out?"

I drummed my fingers on the table. "It all comes down to the people who had zero votes. If you took a look at the votes, there were only three people without votes; Ochaco, Todoroki, and I."

As I briefly skimmed over their faces, they finally seemed to understand where I was going.
"As Red truthfully mentioned, most people would vote for themselves. Knowing that Iida voted for you, Green and that I voted for Iida, the final calculation is rather simple." Ochaco was starting to blush, realizing she would be busted real soon.

With a stoic voice, I furthered my hypothesis, "Ochaco, you being closer to Midoriya than Yaoyorozu, it's pretty safe to assume you voted for him." The brown-haired girl hesitantly nodded, causing Midoriya's pulse to race even quicker, sheepishly thanking her.

"So, with you two circus animals voting for Deku, it leaves Todoroki's vote going straight to Yaoyorozu." My concluding thoughts left them all speechless for a moment before Iida flailed his forearm enthusiastically. "Hamahiru, you truly have a keen eye for deciphering even the smallest details!" to which Ochaco and Midoriya awkwardly agreed.

"It wasn't exactly rocket science, you guys..." I raised my chopsticks and took a bite from my dish.

"Yet, you were the only one of us noticing it." Ochaco gently reflected.