Chapter 20: What the Future Holds

Everything that happened after USJ's daunting episode was a blur. A vast, confusing blur, clouding my brain ever since. Thinking back, I vaguely remember the cop cars' blue lights blinding my blank stare, the inspector's monotone explanations rushing in and out of my ears. In fact, the only thing I remember crystal-clearly about that day was the lingering hint of fear in my classmates' eyes, though some hid it better than others.

Very fortunately, only a handful of us had suffered moderate injuries that Recovery Girl had swiftly treated. The only seriously injured student was Midoriya, mainly due to his two broken legs. And then, of course, our teachers. N°Thirteen, All Might and... Aizawa.

Almost half a day had passed by the time my turn for treatment came around. I had found myself in Recovery Girl's intimate nurse's office for the first time, and while she was examining my various injuries, I spaced out.

"That's quite the damage on your shoulder, young Lady," the tiny elderly nurse observed as she carefully bandaged the injuries. "Did that despicable man inflict that on you?"

I barely caught her question, solely giving her a low hum and a negating headshake. Just as she finished the job, the old lady squinted her wrinkled eyes, "Penny for your thought, love?"

I cautiously hovered over the freshly bandaged sore spot, slowly fiddling my fingers, "How long will it take to heal?"

She pursed her lips, not satisfied with my question, "Judging by the advanced corrosion your nerves and skin endured, I'd say 3 to 4 days, dear."

I tried as best as I could to resist the urge of asking how my teachers were holding up, or more specifically, Aizawa.

"You take that healing balm with you and apply it on the injury with every bandage change, say for the next four days." She handed me the tube, and I thanked her, shoving it into my bag before advancing towards the door. As I was about to cross it, my feet halted, and without turning around, a bashful mumble belched, "The teachers... how are they doing?"

Recovery girl gently smiled, "They are very strong-willed, you know, love. So they are going to be just fine. You are very welcome to visit them in the hospital's ICU." She knew this was the answer I was looking for, and for that, I was grateful.

"Thank you, Old Woman," I graced her with a shy simper, to which she cheekily snapped, "Don't you 'Old Woman' me, you silly brat. Go now and get better."

Aimlessly sauntering down the passageways connecting the infirmary to the main building, I debated whether I should take a trip to the intensive care unit. Then, in a rush, I made up my mind to do so.

Once I got to the registration desk, I asked for Aizawa's room number. "I am his... student. I just wanted to know how he was progressing," my eyes averted from the nurse. She gave me the information, and I carefully made my way to the location. I arrived in front of a big rectangular glass window, through which I spotted the fully bandaged, dark-haired prof.

I paused in front of it, discreetly resting one palm on the pane, and soon my forehead joined it there. A drenched gasp misted the glass in front of my eyes, which were equally watery.

"Thought you may drop by, angel-doll," a smooth voice drove me out of my melancholia. "Hiza... How is he?" I quickly wiped the few waterworks away. The voice hero positioned himself next to me." He's tough, Kid - don't let it ruin your day."

I scoffed at his usual insouciance, "Can't you be serious for once, Hiza?"

He smacked his thin lips, grunting lowly. "you're such a pain," and let out a heavy breath. "His arms were shattered, and he suffered a cranial fracture. Fortunately, his brain remained unharmed, but... the upper half of his face was severely mauled... possibly compromising his eyesight."