FATHER

Kayleigh floated in the darkness of her mind. Emptiness surrounded her as she tried to remember what happened. She escaped with the help of her twin sister but after that was a haze. She remembers the pain that only got worse and worse. Then amongst all that pain security and safety filled her. But why? Who did she find that gave her that?

Our mate did.

Mate? Of course, I found him in the most fear-filled moment of my life. Who was he though?

"I could answer that for you.."

Suddenly the darkness turned into a vast open field. A single enormous tree stood on the top of the slight hill. I stared in awe at everything and realized I was not alone. I sensed something beside me and looked down to see a slightly large wolf next to me. Her pure snow white fur glimmered in the sun as the pink of her nose added to the look of beauty. She looked up to me with purple eyes that had hints of gold in them.

The goddess wants a few words with us.

You... are my wolf?

She nods. I never knew what my wolf looked like, and she was beautiful. I was now excited for the day I could fully shift. I didn't get a chance before everything happened. All the death that surrounded me that day still hurt.

"Kayleigh my dear come here," an all too familiar voice spoke.

My head snapped up to the tree to see the hazy form turn into my father. My body shook as tears filled my eyes. I exploded into a run, like if I didn't hurry he was going to vanish on me. Tears streaked the sides of my face. I could tell my wolf followed quickly behind, excited to see him too.

"Papa!" I screamed.

I crashed into his body and buried my face into his chest. He laughed at my silliness like he always did when I was younger. I bawled for what seemed like hours as he gently rubbed circles into my back to calm me down.

"How are you here? We...." I sniffled and wiped the snot across my arm, "we watched you die..."

"I know, and I am gone, my little one," He spoke softly as he gave me a quick squeeze. "But the moon goddess has a message for the four of you."

"The four of us? Who are the other three?" I was confused.

He shook his head.

"I can't tell you but you will know when the time is right."

He put his hands on either side of my face and looked into my eyes.

"Always know you are strong, you can do anything you can put your mind to, never stop yourself from conquering the challenges put before you. Your first one is right in front of you now. Don't back down from it and remember everything our pack taught you and your sister."

I nodded, fighting the tears again.

"The goddess promised once the punishment was over they would no longer suffer as lonely immortals. The first one was given their chance and has angered the goddess. She wants the four of you to stand together defeat him."

"But... how? I don't know who the others could be! What is this 'chance' that the goddess is giving the immortal?"

"I can't say anymore, I'm sorry. It's going to be a rough road but you girls are strong enough to do it."

"Papa...."

Tears threatened my eyes again as I pulled my father into another tight hug. He hugged back even tighter before giving my forehead a kiss.

"I love you Kayleigh, so does your mom."

"I love you both too."

Within seconds he was gone. I was floating in the darkness alone. I twisted around desperate to find him. I realized my wolf wasn't next to me either.

Bianca?

I'm here.

Thank god. My wolf half was the only thing that helped keep me sane through the horrors of the past year. I kept looking around and then eventually tried walking. My feet felt sluggish as if mud was holding them down. I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder and turned to see nothing. Fear gripped me as I struggled to free myself.

Calm down. My wolf tried sothing me.

Calmer after a few breaths, I continued trying to free myself. Suddenly a hand touched my face. Panic settled in as a voice sounded in my head. One that haunted me and made me nauseous instantly. Horror filled me as the memories flooded me. No....