30 EXPLAINATIONS

Kaleb sat at his desk in the study of his house. He was gathering the files of all the displaced wolves from the massacred packs over the years. There were some from each pack that were still alive by pure chance. They were out of the pack territories when the incidents happened, which by a twist of fate, is the only reason they were alive today. Some did not handle the news of what happened to loved ones or packmates and eventually ended their lives while others struggled before they managed to move forward with their lives. Right now, one of those survivors sat on the couch in his study. Kayleigh was sitting cross legged on the floor while Amy and Daniel stood at opposite sides of the room. She was explaining everything that happened from the beginning to this point in time. She left out finding out we were mates and being as well. He was ecstatic to see someone from the pack who was thought to be dead. Watching his face as she told her story from the time that she was missing he realized just how much worse it was for those that survived the attack and held prisoner for the rest of their lives. By the time she was done talking tears began streaming down the sides of his face. Time passed before he finally broke the silence.

"Is Amarylis still...?" He asked, half afraid to finish the question.

I saw her look down her lap. I could feel her guilt bubble. She was going to struggle with this till the day she would see her sister again.

Kayleigh, it is alright.

She turned to me with a face that had seen so much but only showed the sadness from the memories. She nodded before turning back to her friend.

"I can sense her." She spoke slowly, "She's miserable but she is alive."

So many emotions crossed the young man's face. After a few minutes he stood up and walked over to her then crouched down in front of her. He placed a hand on each shoulder and looked her dead in the face.

"She was able to get you out." He told her, "And I am willing to bet you have been a lot of help for these guys."

He had a small smile form as the tears began drying on his face. After a few moments he pulled her into a hug which she returned. I felt my wolf stir angrily.

Relax. He is a friend from her pack.

He should not be touching what is ours...

Calm down. If I remember correctly, this one is not attracted to females.

What?

While distracted I quickly pushed him to the back of my mind where he mulled over what I meant by that. I caught the brief look in my direction. I pretended I did not see it. Some mortal wolves tended to be nervous around the immortals. He began whispering to her with a worried and nervous look on his face. Kayleigh huffed out a breath before chuckling. She turned to me with a smirk. He must have been asking if she was okay being around me. Her look turned serious as she looked to me for permission. I sighed. I did not see any reason not to trust him. I looked from her to him.

"Kayleigh and I are mates." I told him simply.

His face was entertaining. He looked like one of the computers from the 80s or 90s loading data. I caught glimpses of Amy and Daniel who seemed just as amused at watching the poor guy process the information. He pointed between Kayleigh and I while opening and closing his mouth.

"So, you and he are...? Like the goddess paired you?" He sounded like he was still piecing it together.

She nodded. We both kept our faces serious as he tried to wrap his head around the thought. Finally, he pushed his face into his hands and let out a long sigh.

"Amaryllis is probably mated to an immortal as well..." I spoke up.

"Probably?" He pulled his face out of hands. "You're not sure?"

"No," I answered, "It would explain a some of the information we have gathered but we do not have evidence to confirm it. Or know the identity of the culprit."

He stayed quiet another few minutes to process everything again.

"Dear goddess this is so much to take in...." He finally said with a heavy sigh. "But I'm in for everything that you need to do to take them down. They destroyed our pack; everyone that was affected deserves to help in this effort. I know a few pack mates that would love to join this battle. And... I'm willing to bet that there are a few from the other packs willing to join in on this fight. You just need to say the words."

I was impressed. He was willing to do anything to help and that took a lot of guts.

"Then that will mean we have a lot of phone calls to make when it comes closer to the time of handling the problem." I said aloud.