AWAKENING

Kaleb sat in the chair reading some documents that entailed events that have happened recently in the shifter world. I was trying to find any hints to what could have happened to the female in front of me. I brought her in yesterday in bad condition and the doctor said she should wake in the next day or two. While she had not woken up yet she did start gaining color back into her face. She was not looking not as weak either. It still pained me though, as weird as that was for an Immortal wolf to hold feelings of any sort to the mortal wolves. Could she really be my mate? Was the Moon Goddess really giving us mates now? Did any of the others find theirs yet? I got so lost in my thoughts I didn't realize there were others in the room now.

"Not getting much further on those papers are you?" Alpha Mark commented.

I sighed and grumbled. He chuckled. He moved to the seat across from me, picking up the stack of papers and sat down. I looked at the stack that I was holding for the last 20 minutes and then set them down on the bed. A long sigh escaped me as I pressed my fingers against my brows.

"Do you need me for something or here for a chat?" I asked, finally looking at him.

"Just wondering how she is doing, or if she woke up yet?" He asked.

"She is not awake yet, but she is looking better as the day passes," I answered, looking over to her, "There is more color to her face than there was yesterday."

"It's been almost a couple days now?"

"Yes. The doctor says she is getting better, but her healing is slowed from how malnourished she has been and pushing her limits." I answered. "She is hoping for her to wake up in the next day or two, though there are still going to be more hurdles to come."

"You sound worried," he said with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes.

"Not only will there be struggles with physical healing but the doctor is sure there will be a lot of struggles with her mental healing."

"She must have gone through a lot."

"Dr Reynolds believes she had been with the abuser for at least a year or two to get the damage she has, and with that much time her mental state could be worse than her physical." I said, my blood felt like it was starting to boil.

Why? Whowould do such a thing? Taking a young woman for at least a year and torture hertill she nearly dies.

"Don't worry, once we figure out who did it, I'll let you have some one-on-one time with the bastard." Mark informed me. "Whatever happens after that happens."

I raised my eyebrow.

"Your body is basically telling me you want to strangle the guy." He pointed at me, "That is a major sign of a mate. The protectiveness, wanting to keep them safe and to kill anything that hurts them."

Is that what this feeling was? I grumbled, shaking my head.

"The moon goddess has been punishing us for centuries, living Immortal lives and with no mates, why would she just suddenly decide to pair us now?" I looked at the female.

"Maybe something big is coming, something that will require more than you all to have mates," he pointed out. "Or just to bribe you."

I glared at him. Part of what he said had a point. If something big is coming then the mates would either be a key to handling the situation. Or as he put it as reason to bribe us to handle it. But what did the moon goddess see happening that she thought mates would help with solving it. If so, how many are finding mates? How many could have already found theirs? Is what is to come something worse or different from past situations?