Chapter Fifty-Two

"Where's Ezra?" Kanan demands of the Dathomirian.

Maul turns, his eyes narrowing at the Jedi Knight. "You mean, my apprentice?"

Kanan turns to glance at Keen as she sprints over, her sabers ignited and aloft in front of her. Ahsoka steps forward as well, ready to fight the ex-Sith. Keen can spot Leia quietly skirting around the Dathomirian, nearing the staircase that leads to the top of the Sith Temple. Keen, distracted by her student, doesn't see Maul preparing to attack, until it's too late. His red blade slashes across Kanan's face, sending him sprawling to the ground.

Keen rushes to the Knight's side, gently touching his shoulder, trying to coax him to look toward her. She doesn't get much of a chance, as Maul launches himself directly at Kanan. Ahsoka steps in front of the dual-bladed saber, blocking his onslaught from hitting the Jedi Master.

Master Quinara allows the Togruta to duel the Dathomirian, taking each of Kanan's cheeks in her hands. She lifts his head looking at his eyes. She hisses, seeing the damage that the laser left on his retinas. "Tal Gnosh, that looks like it hurts."

Kanan groans, lifting one of his hands to his face, "Yeah, no gark, Keen!"

"Sorry," she mumbles.

"My apprentice is activating the Temple," Maul snarls, continuing, "or more precisely, this battle station, which I shall use to exact my revenge on all my enemies." The Temple rumbles, a coil of energy rising from the obelisk on the top. Leia takes off up the stairs, determining that to be the best place to find her friend. "The power will be mine! Ezra will be mine, and there is nothing you can do to stop me." Maul attacks Ahsoka once more, and Keen turns her attention back to Kanan.

"I can probably heal these, I've healed worse injuries. I'm just not sure if passing out right now would be the best option for me."

"Is there, like, a time limit on how long you can wait?"

"No."

"Good," the Knight groans, blindly reaching out for his lightsaber. The Jedi Master steps back, knowing that there is more than one way a Jedi can see. His hand brushes against an old Temple Guard mask, and he drags it over his face, turning to face Maul.

"Running away again, Lady Tano?" she hears the ex-Sith question.

"If you want to finish our fight, you'll have to deal with him first," she nods toward the Jedi Knight. As Maul turns, Kanan ignites his lightsaber. Through the mask, his voice sounding slightly muffled, "Go get Ezra! Both of you!"

Ari'abel can sense the strong Dark Side presence of Darth Vader radiating from the top of the pyramid. Glancing back at Kanan, she's certain he has the situation handled. Keen races after Ahsoka, straight up the stairs, jumping over multiples at a time. Keen reaches the top just as Vader brandishes his lightsaber at Ahsoka. "We need not be adversaries. The Emperor will show you mercy, if you tell me where the remaining Jedi can be found."

"Well, maybe Ahsoka doesn't know where the remaining Jedi are. Then again, maybe she's behind you!"

The Sith Lord turns, moving his saber to be pointed at her neck. "We knew you would be here."

"Yeah I'm sure you- Wait, I'm sorry. We?"

From directly behind her, a familiar laugh fills the air, and Keen freezes, seeing Ahsoka's eyes widen as well. She hears a lightsaber igniting, and spins around, blocking the red blade.

The Jedi Master's grey eyes meet the fully yellow ones of Darth Sidious. Keen will be the first to admit that she didn't immediately see Chancellor Palpatine in the scarred and deformed face of the Sith Lord in front of her. His skin saggy, and covered in scars and wrinkles, taking on an unnatural grey pallor.