Part 5: Bloody Brilliant!

"Wait...wait...wait...You left with no shoes?!" Lauren booms and I cover her mouth as we sit in the ED break room this morning. She and I haven't exactly talked in a while. I haven't seen her since before London and even then, she was distracted, I was moody: so our days for gossip never really lined up.

"Shhh...yes. I was so...so taken by him that I forgot my shoes. Alright?" I blush and smile at the thought of him watching me leave last night.

"And you told him about..."

"Yeah...it was weird. I hated it."

"What? Being vulnerable or just talking about it?" She asks as she sits back and sips her soft drink from her straw.

"Both...I didn't expect to be that upset. I know- rationally- that he was just playing with Luna. She loved it. They obviously do that all the time-but seeing it. Hearing her playfully scream and squeal...It instantly just took me back to that horrible moment." I poke my salad with my fork and she sets her drink down before stealing a crouton. "Anyway-what's new with you? It's been ages."

"Well...babe...I have some news."

"You're pregnant." I blandly say- having waited for the day she fucks up.

"No...no in fact- I am seeing someone...living with someone actually." My eyebrows raise and I slowly put my fork down.

This is news to me.

"Really?! Who? Casey?" Her face pales and goes slack.

"No! Why?! No!....Did he say something?" She asks and I shrug my shoulders.

"I just figured it was about time you two shagged."

"It's not Casey. It's..." Door opens and in walks the new Trauma Surgeon, who apparently replaced Cassian smoothly.

"Hi, Baby! I hope I'm not interrupting." The woman goes over and kisses Lauren square on the mouth and what's more is Lauren kisses her back. When they pull apart, the doctors both look at me and I am utterly—not as surprised as I thought I'd be. "Sorry...I don't believe we've met. I'm Dr. Layla Shinwari."

She extends her hand and I smirk at Lauren- who seems nervous about the whole meeting.

"Dr. Helen Sharpe. Head of Oncology and Hematology. I believe Lauren was just about to tell me about you." I smirk and set my salad down. Crossing my arms in front of my chest- I look at her excitedly and her cheeks burn.

"Oh! You were talking about me?"

"Yes, Babe...I was catching Helen up on our relationship."

"That she was...so...does Lauren still snore like a freight train or has she fixed that?" I ask and Lauren's eyes widen.

"Oh- you two used to...."

"No! No! Helen and I are just very good friends and have spent several drunken and high nights sleeping in the same bed talking about the male doctors we wanted to bang. We never..."

"Well there was that one time, Lauren. You know...the Niagara Falls trip." I goad her and she widens her eyes as wide as they possibly can go and her cheeks become so red- I swear I can feel the heat coming off of them.

"So are you into woman as well?" Layla asks and half sits on Lauren's  lap.

"No- strictly men for me, Babe. But every girl has that one experimental night." I say and pick my salad back up, poking a cucumber and crunching it in my mouth.

"Ah...I see. Are you seeing anyone?" Layla asks and I go to answer when Max comes in.

"Hey...sorry to interrupt...can I um...Helen?" He seems angry or very frustrated about something and unfortunately, I think it involves me.