Chapter 5 - Got your number!

[Hands to myself - Selena Gomez]

(Shane's POV)

It was 6.30 but I still couldn't get rid of Noah's tee. The fragrance...Goddamn I was in love with him, but you never know how things will turn out. Why was he so kind to me? I mean, sure lending a t-shirt to a friend in need is a common gesture but the way he smiled at me...the fact that he clearly remembers my name...Okay maybe I was overthinking.

Mom knocked on my door while I was in my own world visualizing Noah in the shower today.

"Come in," I screamed.

She didn't look very good. She must have just come home after Millie's final check-up, so what was this about? Dad followed into the room after her and I've never seen dad look that pale before.

"Uh...honey. I just don't...I just don't know how to put this into words", mom started saying something as her voice cracked and she started tearing up.

"Mom, what is it? Dad...?", I questioned them. I was terrified. This wasn't gonna be any good news.

"Shane...Honey, your sister has been diagnosed with stage 2 Pneumonia.", dad said after a while as he wrapped his arm around mom who was trying her best to stay calm.

"Come on let's get you some water", dad said as he took her down.

I couldn't even say anything. I remember sinking into my laptop all night doing research about pneumonia and trust me it became hectic minute by minute. She was my sister and 3/4 of these cases were fatal. I was blank. Blank, for what I knew. I wasn't even in a mood to have dinner.

_____________

(Ace's POV)

"Ice skating? Like out of all the things? Why though?", Veah questioned me as we came out after almost an hour laughing our asses off.

"It ain't my fault you suck at it Veah", I said as I tried to cheer things up even more.

"Oh piss off", she said as she took another bite off her pretzel.

Looking at her laughing was the only admirable thing that happened to me today. It was surreal. She kept adjusting the strands of hair leaping over her forehead and I just kept looking at her.

"You still didn't answer my question Ace", she asked me again. How was I to answer that? I was clueless.

"Well...Wasn't it fun though?", I said while trying to beat around the bush. She didn't say anything. After a while she got a call from someone. Suddenly she looked tense and stiffened. I don't know why but her whole outlook changed.

"Hey thanks for this but can you please drop me off now Ace?", she said in a formal tone.

Uh, yeah-", before I could even finish what I had to say she just got in. What was happening? We got in and to ease things up I turned up my playlist, but she turned it down. She was the same gurl who was jamming with me an hour ago. God knows what got into her but that escalated in a split second. That was enough to ruin my night.

________________

*Next morning*
(Shane's POV)

"Hey? Why do you look so off Shane?", Mabel said out of nowhere while I was taking out the calculator out of my locker.

"Hey Mabel. Uh...Alright so, you are one of the very first people I met here so guess you deserve to know this. My sister has been diagnosed with stage 2 pneumonia", I said while we walked into Mr. Bolan's class.

Mabel looked sorry for me, I could see it. But I didn't want to make a big deal out of it.

"I'm so sorry to know that Shane. Let's not imagine the worst yeah?", she said while brushing my back.