Chapter 12 - Tables turned

(Shane's POV)

I couldn't think of anything else. All I remember is Noah following me on his bike, amidst the pouring rain. It was just a matter of time when I pushed through the doors of the hospital as Noah kept coming behind me. Water trickled down my wet hoodie on to the ceramic floors of the hallway as I reached the room. Milly was laying there on the bed with the Nasal Cannulas strapped to her face as Mom and dad stood up seeing me lean through the glass panels of the room. Neither of us was allowed to come in and I wasn't in a conscience to even comprehend what's happening.

"Mom? Dad?", I shouted through the panel as I noticed Milly struggling to breath as her chest kept bouncing up and down.

I saw mom on the verge of falling on her knees but she kept holding it in as dad came out of the room.

"Honey, Shane, we aren't sure of what is happening, but stay calm. Take a seat", Dad said while pressing my shoulders as he made me sit on one of the chairs.

"Hey Mr. Walker!", Noah said as he approached us from the other end of the hallway.

"Shane, I'm afraid I don't know him", Dad turned to me and whispered.

"He's Noah dad", I said while feeling a lump on my throat from holding back my tears.

"I'm so sorry for barging in, but I hope everything is okay Mr. Walker", he said.

"Appreciate it son. Shane's sister Milly had some breathing issues and...and while we were on the way here it just worsened we d-don't know what happened. We're waiting till doctor Klein speaks up", Dad said while swiping his fingers over his eyes.

"I'm so sorry to hear that. Let's hope for the best", Noah replied.

"Dad, why didn't you ring me up earlier?", I said while my voice started thinning. I didn't have a composure to make Noah comfortable, all I thought about was Milly.

"Look Shane, we were anxious okay? The last thing we wanted was to inform you about this. She was struggling Shane!", my dad yelled and it was understandable.

Nurses, patients on wheelchairs, doctors stumbled upon the hallway while the three of us were seated there, uncertain of what's going to strike us next. With every minute passing I felt my heartbeat racing and Noah was right there beside me. Mom was inside bracing herself and dad occasionally went in, but she refused to come out and take a seat despite anything.

It was then we saw a nurse entering the room. Dad and I went in as she vaccinated Milly with a syringe.

"Excuse me, can we please talk to to doctor Klein? What's going on?", Dad asked the nurse.

"Please follow me Sir. 3 members of the family can come in.", the nurse said as she left the room when another nurse replaced her. We followed her and just before I took the turn Noah squeezed my left palm taking a quick glance at me. I nodded, leaving him there as I followed the nurse with mom and dad.

"Please take a seat", doctor Klein said as Mom and dad took a seat while I stood behind.

"Look Mr. and Mrs. Walker it's evident at this point Milly is not in a stable position. Unfortunately, I'm afraid she is in the riskiest stages of Pneumonia and her oxygen drops are critical. Please, we are trying our best and it's important the 3 of you stay calm for the time being. We'll be taking a few reports to check for organ failure in a few minutes, and if it's a green signal, she will most probably be out of danger", doctor Klein explained.

"Most probably? What is that supposed to mean?", Mom questioned back.

"See, Mrs. Walker I don't wanna give false hope. Milly's condition is critical, but we are giving it our best. She is in safe hands", doctor Klein replied.