Chapter 13 - "Bitch what?"

That was it. I felt my breath draining away and suddenly everything around me was blurry. I saw mom battling to push through the doors while dad was holding her back. The shades of the unit kept us blinded from what was happening inside. I remember Noah holding onto my hand but at that moment, the faintest of hope faded away. Minutes passed which led to an hour and the hour passed which led to two. Nothing ever came out of the room. We didn't know what was gonna happen to our family at that point but we had no motive left. It was then the door opened while Dr. Klein and two of his co-nurses left the room.

"Doctor! Doctor! How is my baby? What happened?", Dad confronted him and gently asked him trying to stay composed.

I was not ready. I didn't want to hear it. Doctor Klein was expressionless and he maintained an abnormal amount of silence. I didn't want to imagine the worst but I could sense my legs turning numb. Mom was digging her fingers into dad's jacket with continous tears leaving her eyes.

"Mr and Mrs Walker. Millie is out of danger. Don't worry. Her vitals are stable and her oxygen levels are improving. It was a tough one but you have nothing to worry about now. However she needs to be supervised for a few days more. This is almost a miracle", Dr. Klein replied.

I let out a relieving sigh as Mom and dad embraced each other as hope lit their faces. Noah grabbed me into a hug as I felt my whole world finding it's way back piece by piece. The relief I felt after that moment was incomprehensible.

That was what I would describe as the edgiest situation I've ever been.

*ONE WEEK LATER*

Remnants of that day just kept circulating in my head every second despite every effort I make to throw it away. It was one of the most horrid events I have ever gone through in 17 years of my life. I tried to focus on completing my essay but every time I took my pen I felt like I couldn't maintain a grip on it.

"Boo!", someone dropped an encyclopedia onto the table.

"What the. You nearly gave me a heart attack Mabel.", I replied.

"Someone's back after a week", Ace joined the conversation as he dragged a chair.

"You guys know exactly what happened so I don't wanna explain", I said.

"Woah woah easy there honey. We just wanna have a little talk. What is the use of this so-called friend group if we ain't gonna have each other's backs?", Tressa said while shoving her lollipop back into her mouth.

"True that", Noah said as he came back to his seat after a while.

"Alright Alright...sorry for being grumpy people...It's been hard adjusting", I replied.

"We get it dude. You are not the first person to witness near-death", Ace responded.

"Wait you've seen near-death?", I asked out of curiosity.

"Yeah? Grey's anatomy?", he replied with a slight grin

"You bastard I swear", I said while dropping my pen on the table.

"Not gonna lie you had me there. Dirty fucker", Tressa replied while giving him a shoulder punch.

"So how is she doing Shane?", Mabel asked in a concerned tone.

"She was asked to bed-rest for a week until the scans are positive. But yeah, she's doing better. Still got that Beyonce in her...", I said leaving a chuckle at the end.

"I bet...We're here for anything", Tressa said as she brushed her hand over my hair.

"Thanks guys. I know, it was shitty the past couple of weeks, but now that things are falling into place...It's better we grow outta it.", I replied.