Chapter 23 - Black becomes white

[Tressa's POV]

"Teams! Ready to go?", Coach Matthew reassured standing a little farther away from the ring. We were playing dodgeball.

"And...Start!", he blew the whistle.

All of us were taking defence behind one another while dodging the constant throws at us. Noah was intentionally avoiding hitting Shane while Mabel was practically clung onto my back the whole time. It didn't take a while when the ball hit her thigh and she was the first to get eliminated.

"You're quite good at this huh?", it was a familiar voice.

While keeping my eyes on the ball flying around I turned back to see Zach. Zach Danvers.

"What do you want?", I spat.

"Jeez, calm down...We could defend the ball as a pair you know?", he said as the ball brushed past my shoulder by a slight margin.

"Nice!", he said with a smirk.

"What is up with you Zachary Drew Danvers? Focus on the game yeah?"

"Do not ever call me that again!"

"Watch out!", I screamed as the ball went over his head due to his perfect dodge and hit Natalie behind him.

"Hanging in there huh Tressa?", Noah from the attackers ring remarked with a wink as he threw the ball to me but I managed to dodge it.

"We couldn't talk much after the camping trip you know?", Zach once again popped up out of nowhere. There were 7 of us remaining inside now.

"Uh, you treated my leg, I thanked you, what more was there to-", I couldn't finish my sentence when the ball hit my shoulder but it obviously didn't mean I was eliminated since only waist down was allowed.

"Zach don't you have a girlfriend? You tryna hit on me or some shit?", I asked him while maintaining my focus on the ball.

"What? No No...I mean technically she isn't my girlfriend anymore but...", I was taken aback by that.

"Uh, what? Y'all broke up?", I said as the ball hit Rafe, leaving only 4 of us remaining.

He nodded while dodging the ball directed at him.

"Damn..." I was kinda content because this meant the Ace and Zach drama was gonna subside eventually.

"Anyways, honey, stop tryna get to me I'm not interested in dating you under any circumstance.", I replied with a sarcastic grin.

He was quiet. I realized it was only the two of us remaining at the moment and my body started heating up. Sweat trickled down my cheeks as I saw Zach giving me a lopsided grin. I raised an eyebrow with a questioning look as I turned my focus to the ball being passed around the attackers' ring. Mabel and Shane were cheering for me from the loser's bench as I saw Ace having his eyes set on Zach.

It didn't take a while when I felt the ball coming at me from my left but someone ran towards it and I realized it was Zach, obviously. Did he just intentionally get himself eliminated? However, I was the last one standing and was of course the winner.

I walked towards him who was restlessly chugging down water.

"Why'd you do it?", I asked.

"Why did I do what?", he responded but I saw a sly smile forming from the corner of his lips.

"Oh fuck off...What are you tryna prove? Yeah, I'm prince charming, imma just jump in front of the ball to let the girl win?", I imitated with a manly voice.