Chapter 22 - Piece two

(Mabel's POV)

"So...What do you have in your defence?", Dad asked me as I felt my hands turning clammy.

"I...It's not mine dad...", I replied.

"Stop denying Mabel! We checked the CCTV footage, and Veah clearly picked up the packet from the floor below your goddamn locker! Should I remind you what happened last time?"

The salty tears reached my lips as I tried to regain my composure. It couldn't be. It possibly couldn't be. His stare at me stiffened and I knew he wanted an answer.

"Dad...There are 4 lockers in that column! Why are you only suspecting me?"

He squinted his eyes and fell silence for a split second.

"Excuse me? What makes you think that? I called in all the students who had lockers around there!", he leaned forward and screamed at me.

"No, because usually I'm the bait you know. I can't mess up cause I'm THE princicpal's daughter...It's not mine Dad!", I retaliated as I stood up from the seat.

"What did you just say? You are grounded for a week Mabel Morris!"

"Not surprised!", I slammed the door.

At that moment, I felt powerful. I felt right. I stood my ground for the first time in my life and somehow that felt liberating. As always, Tressa, Noah, Shane and Ace were right there leaning against the lockers in the main hallway.

"Mabel? What happened?", Ace came upto me.

"What happened? Your fucking girlfriend ratted me out to my father for something I didn't even do!", I spat.

"What?", Shane and Ace simultaneously shrieked.

"Veah?", Tressa asked.

"What do you mean?", Ace inquired.

"She picked up a packet of shrooms that was lying down near my locker column...On the floor...and reported to dad."

"Shrooms?", Noah asked out of nowhere.

"Hmm..."

Suddenly, his eyeballs rolled back and he grabbed the either sides of his head.

"Noah?", Shane ran to him and lifted his chin.

"Noah, are you okay?", I asked as the rest of us reached him.

"Yeah yeah...I just...I just wanna take a seat...I'll see you guys in the cafeteria...", he replied as he straightened his back.

"Is it something to do with your meds?", Tressa added in.

"You wanna go for a check-up?", Ace suggested.

"No! No! Guys, it's all good...Let me have some time alone okay?", he replied.

The rest of us agreed and left him for the time being. I don't know what happened or what was in store for me after that, but everything was messed up. The more I tried to be Mabel Morris, the more I became reckless. To be frank, I don't even understand myself anymore.

(Ace's POV)

I just couldn't believe Veah at times. Why would she even do that? I mean yeah, she is head-girl but she knows how much Mabel means to me. I knew she would either be with Zach or in the book room at that time of the day.

"There you are...", I opened the door to see Veah turning the pages of a rugged book.

"Here I am?"

"Why did you do it?"

"Uh, I'm sorry, what?"

"Why did you rat out Mabel for the shrooms?", I asked her while grabbing the book from her hands.