Chapter 16 - Calm before the storm

(Shane's POV)

"Seriously?", Rafe exclaimed.

"Yeah young man. Seriously", Mr. Owens replied while shifting his focus on to us once again.

"Each one of you will be getting a rough map and the first team that succeeds to bring back the school flag we've stored in a red box, will win and earn themselves a reward!", he briefed.

"Oh for god's sake...Are we in middle school?", Tressa shrieked when Mabel slapped her shoulder.

"Prize is...you will get an instant A for PE for the term ending report", Mr. Owens continued.

"Woah woah what?", Noah muttered.

"You guys heard that right. This ain't no kids game...You need heavy analytical skills and stamina. This campsite is known for the treasure hunt. First established in 1991, a group of youngsters created this hunt to excite,  high-schoolers who'd be camping here. Whenever a camping trip is organized here the site-keepers renew all the games and completely restart the game. Think of it as a thriller activity to get you guys some good rush of adrenaline. You might or might not have traps and twists in the middle so better keep your eyes open", Mr. Owens added in.

Damn

"So do we get a time limit?", Addison questioned.

"About that...Yes. You will get exactly 90 minutes to bring the flag back to us. If you feel uneasy or lost out there, just give us a call, and  tell us the number inscribed on a tree near to you. Get it?", Mrs. Baker joined in

"What if the signal falters?", I asked, breaking my silence. Everyone turned to me with blunt expressions on their face.

"Good question...This site is connected with a strong web of signal poles so you'd be fine unless you don't cross the yellow cones.", A man who looked like a camp instructor replied while walking to us.

"Thanks Dave. Guys, this is Dave, if you have anymore questions you can ask him...and yes, as he said, do not cross the yellow cones", Mr. Owens reiterated.

After a few more questions and instructions we were assigned into teams of 5. My team had Noah, Mabel, Natalie and...and Veah. Tressa and Ace went into another team with Zach, Mycah and Kylie.

Whoever made these groups had a strong urge to witness hell break loose. Poor Mycah

We were handed pepper spray, a water bottle and were asked to get everything else we needed. Natalie as always brought her accessory bag strapped around her waist and didn't even make eye contact with us. I was actually content I had Noah-pup with me but we wouldn't get any privacy whatsoever.

Having Mabel in our team was icing on the cake because she reads...an unhealthy amount. So she was quite good at all these riddles and stuff. I saw Ace trying to avoid Zach and cling onto Tressa more while she was busy spitting venomous glares to Zach.

The five teams were asked to line up on five different spots around the site facing the dense forests spreading over to what seemed like an infinite space. Mabel had the map in her hand.

Mr. Owens blew the whistle as we started following Mabel.

This was going to be one heck of a game.

"Okay okay...So take 30 steps forward with me", she said as she glued her focus onto the map.

"I swear to god if I find bugs on my legs I will seriously drop this bullshit", Natalie whined

"Oh no, it'll most probably be leeches and poison ivy", Noah added on which made me let out a laugh under my breath.