Chapter 10 - Skeleton out of the closet

It felt like everything just stood still at that moment. Not that I haven't stood my ground ever before, but I knew this time it was going to be a severe aftermath. I kept looking down to my plate as I saw Liam and Judy holding in their laugh while they make eye contact. Foster sibling or not, I don't know how anyone with a pinch of humanity could bear to see someone be mistreated like this.

David, my foster dad who was right next to me expectedly slapped me across my right cheek quite harder than the last time as my fork fell down. It didn't hurt, it never did. I bent so as to take my fork showing no expression of hurt or pain and he instantly grabbed me from my hair and pulled me closer to him. Karen showed no sympathy through her eyes as she enioyed watching the mayhem. I was being held face-to-face with him as he kept grabbing harder. I just saw pure hatred and unforgiveness raging in him. I didn't react. I stayed still waiting for his response.

"Listen. Don't you even think of talking back again or else Tressa, we won't think twice before disowning you and your brother. Now you wouldn't want that, yeah?", he shouted at me.

"Please, can we already do it dad?", Judy spoke breaking her silence.

"Okay okay! Leave me, I will do it!", I said while biting my teeth trying to unclench his hand twisting my hair.

He let go of me. This was a daily occurrence in my life but each day they do this to me I end up feeling dissapointed in my own self. No matter to which extent I stand my ground, this goes on. But for how long?

I came back to my room and went through the scars this family gave me. Reminiscence was just as painful, maybe worse than the moments I got the scars. But I had my reasons, I kept chanting it to myself and it boosted my will to keep up with it.

(Shane's POV)

"Shane, can I give you a ride to school today?", Dad said while running down the stairs.

"Uh, why though?", I said cause clearly, getting a ride to school by your father is a high-key excuse to be dragged for in Preston High.

"Should it always be a special reason? Come on son, when did we last have a man-to-man talk?", Dad said as he kissed Milly on the forehead, adjusting his belt.

"I agree, it's high time you have a little ride with your dad Shane", mom said while serving me the pancakes.

"Okay fine then", I agreed cause I knew the odds weren't pretty certain today. Plus how weird could it get? Well, I hope he doesn't indirectly teach me about the stroking methods for jerking off like he did last year. Ugh.

We left home and just 5 seconds of driving, he started speaking.

"So, how's school? I mean I know it could get rocky at the start but", Dad asked me.

"Well not gonna lie, I've had the smoothest start here in Preston High", I replied.

"Nice! Oh yeah and Mom told me about this friend you had over yesterday. You're making progress huh?", Dad said as he braked at the lights.

"Oh please, you too? That's exactly what mom said yesterday. I mean, I know I can get anti-social but I've made progress with some good guys out there.", I replied.

"That's great, that's great. And yes, if they turn out to be douches don't hesitate to remind them your father is the deputy sherrif yeah?", he said in a serious tone.

"Jesus No dad, I'd rather get beat to a pulp than go around saying that", I said.

"Oh come on, nothing interesting happens here in the first place. Norwich is pale. Utterly pale. So even a domestic crime would do for me. Get your old man something to work on", he said half-heartedly.