26

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

MALIA

I PEERED AT MY REFLECTION IN THE MIRROR AND HELD A BREATH

I PEERED AT MY REFLECTION IN THE MIRROR AND HELD A BREATH. The person before me was strikingly radiant, wrapped in a silk and georgette Lehenga that was decked with detailed embroidery all over, enriched with sequins and stone work embellishments. Pinned to my side was a similarly embroidered off-white, ornamented net piece with similar lace details.

Swallowing hard, I took a deep breath as my fingers reached out to brush over my mauve-brown lips, then flushed coral cheeks, big, brown eyes made wider with wisps of silver and ash staring back at me. Katherine was holding back my hair, which she had helped me take care of especially.

My fingers caressed the jewellery around my neck and a content sigh left my lips as I soaked up each detail of the emerald-filled ivory piece with a thick, elaborate design. It looked great on my complexion, and I couldn't help but admire how everything had been put together for me and wrapped neatly in a single, massive box, which I discovered after returning to my room on the final night of the equestrian event.

The white box had been on the foot of the bed, perched on the velvet stool, I had been perplexed when my eyes had landed on it and had it not been for my name being inscribed on a small card in cursive, I would have taken it out and questioned Katherine what it was there for.

Curiosity had gotten the best of me, and I'd unwrapped the ribbon, opened the box, then unveiling the lovely ivory garment with a cream-coloured, jewelled eye mask strewn atop it. I slowly picked up the accompanying card, a note addressed to me, written in breathtakingly beautiful calligraphy, with my mouth agape.

You are hereby invited to the Costello bal masqué.

This is a gift from me to you, an exclusively designed outfit from a designer you may have heard of. I request that you attend the ball, wearing whatever is in the box and hope to see you there.

Mateo.

Though I had been hesitant at first, I couldn't blame anyone but my own whims for now being wrapped in the very attire that Mateo had given me. It would have been a crime to leave the beautiful apparel wrapped in its box, when it was plainly intended for me and crafted by Savatri of all, a very huge designer that worked in line with the likes of Sabyasachi and Masaba.

"This is too much." I said softly, turning to look at Katherine, my hand slightly clutching the bare skin below my chest.

"You look beautiful." Katherine whispered, her cheeks softening as she took my hands into hers.