30

CHAPTER THIRTY

MALIA

FOR SOME WILD REASON I WAS EXPECTING THE THEATRICS

But it was worse that I expected because he wasn't reacting after the revelation at all, holding onto his last shred of sanity and humanity he composed himself as the Gondola rounded the corner and came to a still eventually.

The streets around us bustled with life, families walking around with smiles etched onto their face as they went on with their evening, under the virescent sun, which contrasted with the glum atmosphere that had built up within these walls.

Mateo sat inertly, as he seated himself moments later in our next ride. I didn't want to press him since his jaw was set tight and his eyes were loaded with feelings I couldn't quite understand. My questions about why the car we had switched into wasn't moving yet, were answered with the presence of Aiden, through the sliding window.

"Boss." He said calmly, waiting for him to notice him.

He then stuck his head a little closer and I finally caught his attention, he proceeded to wink at me with a grin on his face as if he was actually happy to see me. "Con lady."

"Captain prick." I nodded, acknowledging him also.

Mateo pulled the envelope off me, before he slipped the paternity report inside, sealed it shut and handed it back to Aiden. "I need you to go to the location that I text you, ask for a man named Jorvik, tell him that I sent you, it might be that you won't find him straight away, could be a while."

Aiden stared at the package, but pressed his lips together as he listened to Mateo. "I'll let Vinnie and Hashim know everything's okay. Get Kalumai to call me as soon as possible, though."

"Anything else?" Aiden remarked.

"Si," Mateo mused, "Where's the nearest boutique stores? Preferably some place a little quiet? It has been a long time since I've stepped foot here."

Though Aiden was initially confused, he didn't show it, "The market square isn't so far away. Around the corner."

"Is that all?" He added in a mutter.

"Keep me updated." Mateo dismissed him.

Before I could ask Mateo what the hell he was up to, the SUV was moving again. He was already slipping out of the vehicle when the driver obliged and pulled up to the market square a few moments later.