Chapter 8 | Quidditch

I sat at the table, fidgeting with my robes. Today were the Quidditch tryouts, and I was really nervous. I told myself that it didn't matter if I got in or not, just about whether I gave it a go.

"Hey, Y/n, eat something," Remus said quietly. "I know you're nervous, but you'll do fine."

I picked up a slice of toast and bit into it. Remus deemed it enough because he went back to his book. I continued eating the food, slightly flustered about the fact that Remus had been paying that much attention to me.

Our first class of the day was double potions. We had to deal with Sirius complaining again about having double potions in the morning. Slughorn made us start a Drought of Living Death.

"Padfoot, mate you have to crush the beans," James said quietly. "My dad told me."

I watched as Snape listened in and then crushed the Sopophorous Bean and a whole lot of juice came out. I wanted to feel mad at him for eavesdropping, but that was something that happened constantly in Potions class. And I supposed that I had eavesdropped, even though we were at the same table.

I did the same as James suggested to Sirius and poured the juice into my cauldron. The potion became the light shade of lilac that was described in the book. I looked up to James who winked at me.

Once the bell had rung for the end of class, we had a small break before Charms started. We were supposed to conjure a jet of water. It was difficult, but I was able to produce it with ten minutes until the end of class. The most interesting thing that happened was watching a Hufflepuff boy accidentally shatter one of the windows with a jet of fire.

We had lunch and waited until the end of our free period until the Quidditch tryouts began. I clutched onto my Comet 220, the same broom that Sirius and James also had. Remus, Lily, and Peter all sat in the stands, watching us tryout.

All the more people to see if I failed spectacularly.

"You'll do great," James said, clapping me on the back.

By the time James started the tryouts, at least forty Gryffindors had rocked up to try out. The first thing James made us do at the tryouts was a simple fly around the pitch. He split us into groups of ten and watched us fly. I was in the second group with Sirius, and I flew around the pitch with ease.

After we'd all flown around, James made the keepers and Chasers line up. Keepers were to defend the goals while the Chasers tried to score goals. I was up first, and I scored the goal against a seventh year. We went through the line a few times, and I scored every time.

I flew to the ground after my ninth shot and James clapped me on the back.

"Welcome to the team, L/n," he said brightly.

I smiled at him and watched the rest of the tryouts. Seeing as James was a Chaser, he only needed one more. After a few minutes, we found our last Chaser and a Keeper. They were twins, the boy with silvery blonde hair and the girl with brown hair. They both had the same blue eyes, and their names were Wanda and Pietro Maximoff.

The next position to fill were the Beaters. They flew around, hitting bludgers and causing just a little bit of mayhem. Sirius was made one of the official Beaters, with a girl called Carol Danvers making the final position. She had blonde hair and blue eyes and didn't take any shit from the guys who told her that they would be better Beaters.

The final place was for the Seekers. The snitch was released into the field, and the Seekers had to find it.

Marlene McKinnon caught the snitch all three times, so she was awarded the position of Seeker.

Once everyone else had left the pitch, Lily and the others walked onto the field to congratulate us. Lily gave me a big hug, one that I returned. Remus and Peter hugged Sirius, and then, to my pleasant surprise, Remus hugged me as well. I hugged him back, even though my heart was beating loud enough for everyone to hear. When he pulled back, he smiled at me, and I smiled back. I looked to Sirius and James who were both smirking and winking at me.

I shouldered my broom and glared at the two.

"I'm starving," I said. "Let's go up for dinner."

We walked up to the castle, laughing, and having fun. I smiled to myself, happy that I had made Chaser.