Chapter 24 | The Full Moon

"We're all supposed to fit under the cloak?"

"Yeah. One time I rode on James's back, it was hilarious."

"Wasn't for me. You're heavy as a human and a dog!"

Sirius went to hit James and James ducked. I rolled my eyes and sat down on Remus's bed while rubbing my thumb over the fabric of the Invisibility Cloak. Remus had just left to go see Madam Pomfrey, and the four of us were figuring out how to fit a wolf, a stag, a dog, and a rat underneath a single cloak.

"We'll figure it out," Peter said quietly. "We always do."

I nodded and waited for Sirius and James to stop attacking each other before we walked down to the common room. We all got under the cloak (which was extremely difficult to do) and made our way through the castle, with Sirius holding the map.

"Left. Wait, no, right. No, yeah. Left."

"Can you bloody read a map?"

"In fact, Prongs, I cannot."

"Hand it over, Padfoot," I said, snatching the map from his grasp.

I looked at it for a moment.

"Yeah, no, we need to go right," I said.

We made our way through the castle and to the secret tunnel that led into the grounds. There was a hidden shelf in the wall where we placed the Marauder's Map and the cloak.

"Before we transform," James began, "we're going to go over everything again."

I huffed and glared at him.

"Remus asked me to," James said quietly.

My lips thinned and I nodded, motioning for him to go on.

"We won't be able to talk. If we really need to communicate, we draw letters in the dirt. If you need to leave, bark three times."

I nodded, not that I would be leaving Remus.

"The werewolf will want to smell you," James said. "Just to remember your scent. He did it with the rest of us, so you'll be okay."

I bit my lip and nodded again. James gave me a Look before we all transformed.

I didn't mind that none of us could talk, seeing as that meant I didn't have to hear Sirius prattle on. We made our way through the tunnel, and what a sight we would have been. A stag, a wolf, a dog, and a rat running through the tunnels of Hogwarts.

When we got outside, I let out a huff of air. Padfoot the dog brushed against my shoulder and I headbutted him. Prongs the stag huffed and led the way down to the Whomping Willow.

Padfoot, Prongs and I stayed away from the tree while Wormtail darted over to it and pressed a knot on the trunk. The tree immediately stopped moving, and I followed Prongs into the tunnel at the trunk of the tree.

We walked through the tunnel, and I began to hear whimpers and howls. Prongs surfaced from the tunnel first, followed by Padfoot, and then myself.

The sight that I saw broke my heart.

Laying on the floor was Remus, as a werewolf. There was blood running down the werewolf's body, courtesy of the scratches on his arms. I whined and moved forwards to help him, but Prongs stood in my way.

The werewolf seemed to finally realise that it wasn't the only creature in the room. Its ears perked up and he looked straight at me.

Prongs moved out of the way as Moony came over to me. I stayed still as the werewolf circled me, sniffing at me.

The werewolf seemed to approve because it let out a happy yelp and rubbed its head against my shoulder.

Padfoot led the way out of the Shrieking Shack. We led Moony into the Forbidden Forest and away from the castle.

The werewolf was very playful with its friends. We played chase and just kept it company. All of us had rested as much as we could during the day so that we could stay awake at night, but even so, I was starting to get tired by the time the moon began to sink below the horizon.

The werewolf didn't want to leave its friends. Moony was being difficult and was hanging back when we tried to lead him back towards the shack.

I walked over to him and brushed my head against his shoulder, urging him to follow me. He did so grudgingly but followed me all the same. We led Moony down the tunnel and into the Shrieking Shack just as the sun rose over the hills.

Moony began whimpering in pain, and I wanted to stay with him. Padfoot pushed me towards the exit, and I left with a great deal of reluctance.

As we crossed the Hogwarts grounds, I heard loud howls of pain. I saw the three Marauders cringe, and I lowered my head.

I wished I could make it easier for him. For Remus. He didn't deserve this.

No one did.