Chapter 11 | The Accident

A couple of weeks later, Remus began acting agitated. It started a few days before now, and it slowly got worse. He began to look sick and started eating less.

"Hey, Remus," I said quietly, nudging him with my leg under the desk during Charms. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," he muttered.

I looked at him in concern and he smiled softly at me.

"I just haven't been getting much sleep," he said.

I nodded at him and rubbed his arm.

"If you need to talk, I'm here," I said.

"Thanks, N/n," he replied.

I'd kept a close eye on him, watching as he went by his day. He barely at anything at dinner and just pushed his food around on his plate. When we went back to the common room, he went to bed almost immediately, saying that he needed to catch up on sleep.

The next day, he looked even worse. The bags under his eyes had gotten darker, and he was more irritable than ever.

"Hey, James, do you know what's wrong with Remus?" I asked when we were alone in the library.

"Uh... he's not sleeping well," James said. "I think he has nightmares."

"Really?" I asked softly.

I hadn't thought about that. I felt bad for him.

The next day, Remus wasn't at breakfast. The other three came down later than they normally did, looking extremely tired. I marked each of their faces and noticed Remus's absence.

"Where's Remus?" I asked.

"Your boyfriend's in the Hospital Wing," Sirius muttered tiredly, spooning eggs and bacon onto his plate. "He's sick."

I felt heat rise to my cheeks but ignored Sirius's comment.

"What?" I asked. "When did this happen?"

"Yesterday evening," James said. "After you went to bed."

I slumped back into my chair, wondering what was wrong with him. After lunch, I decided to go and visit Remus, to see if he was okay.

I walked through the halls of the castle to the Hospital Wing, looking through windows as I passed. I walked by students of all houses, some of the Gryffindors waving hello to me.

When I made it to the Hospital Wing, I was met by the grim sight of Remus in a hospital bed with cuts all over his face and arms.

"Remus!" I gasped, rushing over to him. "What happened?"

"It was an accident," he mumbled, looking up at me.

"An accident?" I exclaimed. "Did you get beat up or something?"

"I... uh... yeah," he said sheepishly.

"Who," I demanded.

"It doesn't matter," he muttered, looking away from me.

"Remus, who did this to you?" I implored. "Was it a Slytherin?"

"I said it doesn't matter," he said, quietly, but firmly.

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"James and Sirius said you were sick," I said.

"Maybe they wanted to spare me from embarrassment," he muttered.

My lips twitched to the side in displeasure.

"How long are you going to be in here?" I asked.

"A few more hours," Remus replied. "Madam Pomfrey wants to make sure I heal properly."

I nodded at him and stayed with him until the end of lunch. I said goodbye to him before heading to my next class, my stomach uneasy.

If there was one thing I knew about Remus Lupin, it was when he was lying. I just had to figure out why.