Chapter 14 | Choosing A Name

"Shaggy."

"Sirius, I am not being called Shaggy."

"Scooby."

"No, Sirius."

The Marauders and I were currently in the common room, sitting in our favourite chairs beside the fire, trying to come up with a Marauder name for me. James had told me that it had something to do with their Patronuses. Padfoot for a dog, Prongs for a stag, Wormtail for a rat, and Moony for a wolf.

My heart did a weird thing in my chest when they said that Remus's Patronus was a wolf. I remembered what I had told Lily, about the people with the same Patronus being soulmates, but quickly pushed the thought away. There were roughly eight point seven million species of animals in the world, and about thirty million witches and wizards. Some of the Patronuses might have doubled up. It might not mean anything.

"Well... you're a wolf," James mused. "What about Moony 2.0?"

"Uh, no thanks," I said. "I want my own name."

"What about... Foxy?" Peter suggested.

"Peter, she's a wolf, not a fox," Sirius said.

"Fluffy tail?" James said.

I shook my head. This was almost pointless. We were supposed to be smart, but we couldn't come up with a single nickname. Well, at least not a good one.

"What about Luna?" Remus suggested.

I hummed contemplatively.

"It's a person's name, though," I said. "It's like your nickname being Leonardo instead of Moony."

Remus gave me an are-you-serious Look.

"What about Loony?" Sirius snickered.

"I will hit you," I warned. "But I do like the idea of my nickname being apart of the night sky."

We stayed in silence for a while, trying to think of a nickname. A few more were thrown around, but they were all disagreed on.

"What about Huntress?" Sirius said. "Cause wolves hunt."

"What about Artemis?" I suggested. "Seeing as she's the goddess of the hunt."

"But you're not a goddess," Sirius said.

"Am so," I argued.

"I'm more goddess-like than you," Sirius retorted.

"Okay, okay, ladies, you're both gorgeous," James said, rubbing his temples.

"What about... Eclipse?" Remus said.

"Eclipse," I repeated, feeling the name on my tongue. "I like it."

"So do I," Sirius said.

Everyone else agreed on liking the nickname. James pulled the Marauder's Map out of his pocket and began murmuring spells, with Remus joining in occasionally. After about ten minutes, they blanked out the map, and handed it to me.

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good," I said, tapping the parchment with my wand.

I looked to the words and smiled.

Messrs Eclipse, Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs, are proud to present The Marauder's Map.

"Why am I first?" I asked.

"Because it sounds more aesthetically pleasing," James said.

"Potter!"

I turned around at the sound of Lily's voice. Sirius quickly tapped the map with his wand, murmuring, mischief managed. Lily walked towards us with a small smile on her face.

"What'd you do this time, Prongs?" Remus asked boredly.

"Nothing!" James exclaimed.

Lily stopped before us with her hands on her hips.

"James," she said.

"Lily," James said nervously.

"Would you like to go out with me?" Lily asked.

James's jaw dropped and Sirius barked out a laugh. I began smiling widely and Remus chuckled.

"I – uh... what?" James said dumbly.

"I said: do you want to go out with me?" she asked.

"Is this a joke?" he said hoarsely, standing up. "Because if it is, it's really mean."

Lily smiled.

"No, James. It's not a joke," she said softly.

"YES!" James blurted loudly. "I uh... I mean, yes, I'd like that."

Lily smiled at him before kissing him on the cheek. She motioned at me to follow her, and we went to the dorms. I heard James's cheer even from our room.

"Good job, Lily!" I said.

Lily smiled and blushed.

"That was funny," she said.

"It was," I replied. "But now he's going to be ecstatic."

Lily smiled softly, before turning her attention back to me.

"Now that I've done it, you can do it, too," she said.

"Ask out James?" I said in confusion.

"No, of course not, he's mine," Lily said. "I meant Remus."

"What? No," I said. "It's different!"

"Is not," she retorted.

"But it is," I retorted. "You already knew that James liked you! I – I have no idea if he likes me or not!"

Lily thought about it for a moment.

"Well, you might as well ask him," she said. "You'll never know if he does until you do."

I face-planted on my bed and groaned into the pillows. Lily sat down beside me and stroked my hair.

"You have your first Quidditch match in a week," she said. "Are you excited?"

I groaned and rolled over, looking up at her.

"More nervous," I said. "I think I'd rather try surviving jumping off the Astronomy Tower."

Lily smacked me.

"Only because your boyfriend takes Quidditch very seriously," I amended. "If I fail, I don't think he's going to be very happy."

Lily rolled her eyes.

"You'll do great," she said. "I'm sure of it."