Chapter 21 | Step One

Step one: carry a single Mandrake leaf in your mouth for an entire month – from full moon to full moon to be precise. If you swallow the leaf or remove it from your mouth at any point, you have to start the entire process again. You then have to find a small crystal phial that receives the pure rays of the moon, put your saliva-filled leaf inside, and add one of your own hairs.

The first step was to steal a Mandrake leaf. We decided that I would go alone to the Herbology greenhouses on the full moon to grab the leaf. I was given the cloak and the map, and I was told to stay safe.

After James, Sirius, and Peter left to go help Remus, I left to go to the greenhouses. I walked under the cloak, my wand lit and leading the way.

I had to take one of the secret exits out of the castle and into the grounds. I found the greenhouses easily, and I entered.

The Mandrakes were near the back, so I crept through the room. Some of the plants seemed to be able to sense my presence, which made my task a bit more difficult.

I was able to get through the greenhouse to the Mandrakes. I pulled a pair of clippers out of my pocket and snipped a leaf off. I held it in my hands and looked at it for a moment before steeling myself and putting it in my mouth.

It tasted slightly sweet, but there was a slightly sour taste, too.

A distant howl brought me out of my thoughts.

I should probably get back, I thought.

I hurried up to the secret tunnel and made my way through the castle and back to my bedroom. I stuffed the cloak and map in my trunk and hopped into bed.

Was it all worth it? Just for my boyfriend?

He'd been one of my best friends before he was my boyfriend. If I wouldn't do it for a boyfriend, I would do it for my best friend.

I fell asleep, the distant howls in the night making my stomach churn.

↢⋄↣

The next morning, Remus didn't show up for breakfast. I gave James the cloak and map back, and he gave me a chalkboard and a piece of chalk to go around my neck.

"Did it go as planned?" Sirius asked at the table.

I nodded and continued trying to eat my breakfast. It was extremely difficult, but I quickly started to flatten the mandrake leaf against the roof of my mouth before trying to eat.

"It's difficult to eat, isn't it?" Sirius asked with a shit-eating grin on his face.

I glared at him and flipped him off before continuing to eat.

"Why do you have a chalkboard around your neck?"

I turned around to see Lily.

Sirius bet me I couldn't stay silent for a whole month, I wrote.

Lily read it and rolled her eyes.

"How much did he bet you?" she asked.

I smirked at Sirius as I wrote it on my board. Ten Galleons.

"Ten Galleons?" Lily asked, while Sirius just glared at me.

I nodded and smiled at Sirius innocently.

"That's right," he said tightly.

I smiled again and continued eating breakfast.

Our first class for the day was Potions. Professor Slughorn thought that the bet was hilarious and told Sirius to save the ten Galleons for me.

Professor McGonagall didn't find it quite as funny.

"Why aren't you talking, Miss L/n?" she asked.

Sirius bet me ten galleons that I couldn't stay silent for a whole month, I wrote.

She'd narrowed her eyes at me in suspicion.

"And you took him up on that bet?" she asked.

I want ten Galleons and bragging rights, Professor, I wrote.

Her lips twitched in amusement, but she just nodded at me and continued teaching.

After school I visited Remus.

How are you doing? I asked.

"M' alright," he mumbled. "How are you? Is it difficult not being able to talk?"

"I canbf tathlk."

"I can't understand you."

"I sthaid I canbf tathk."

"Darling, I really can't understand you."

I tried talking again, but the leaf nearly fell out of my mouth. I glared at him for being right and he smiled at me.

"Alright, Remus, you can leave," Madam Pomfrey said.

Remus got up and grabbed my hand. We walked out of the Hospital Wing and towards the Gryffindor common room. We entered the common room and grabbed an armchair. I sat on him, and he wrapped his arms around my waist. I got out my chalkboard and scribbled something down on my chalkboard.

Kiss?

Remus smiled at me before pressing his lips to mine. He pulled away and I cuddled up to his chest.