Chapter 15 | Red Versus Green

The day had dawned upon us. The first Quidditch match of the season. I got up that morning feeling sick to my stomach. We'd been training every week, but what if I wasn't good enough?

I walked down to breakfast with Lily, wearing my Quidditch robes and with my broom over my shoulder. I sat down next to Sirius, who clapped me on the back and handed me a plate of pancakes.

"Eat up, Eclipse," Sirius said.

I looked at the pancakes and felt my stomach rise in my throat.

"I – I don't know if I can," I said, and then swallowed.

"You'll be fine, N/n," James said.

"Yeah, you'll do great, Y/n," Pietro Maximoff, the keeper of our team, said.

I mumbled something uncomprehensive and began to eat. Remus rubbed my back comfortingly, and I ignored the butterflies in my stomach.

Soon enough, it was time to go down to the pitch. We went into the change rooms and James began to give a speech.

"We've got this, Gryffindor," he said. "We'll win against those snakes. I know we will. We have an amazing Seeker..."

He nodded at Marlene who gave him a lopsided smile.

"We have two excellent Beaters..."

Sirius and Carol stood up and gave a bow before sitting back down.

"We have one of the best Keepers the Gryffindor team has ever seen..."

Pietro grinned at James.

"And we have two spectacular Chasers," James said.

Wanda and I smiled at him.

"Aw, James, you're an alright Chaser, too," I said.

James grinned at me and then the rest of the team.

"Let's go and run the Slytherins into the dirt," James said.

We walked out onto the field to the cheers of the Gryffindors, as well as most of the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs.

The Slytherin team walked out and there were cheers from the silver and green mass in the stands. Madam Hooch walked onto the field and stood before us. James shook Mulciber's hand, and it looked like Mulciber was trying to squeeze the life out of James's hand. James just grinned wickedly at him before stepping back.

"I want a fair, clean game from all of you," Madam Hooch said.

She looked at the Slytherin team who all glanced at each other evilly. Madam Hooch told us to mount our brooms before blasting her silver whistle, and then we were off.

I got the Quaffle first and zoomed across the pitch.

"And L/n has immediately takes the Quaffle," the commentator said.

I dodged Slytherin players and threw the ball to James. He caught it and shot the ball through the left hoop.

The crowd cheered as we scored our first goal. I flew back across the field and intercepted the Quaffle. I zoomed across the pitch and towards the team's Keeper, Mulciber.

"You're only on the team because you're friends with Potter!" he yelled at me.

I glared at him and flew towards him. I threw the Quaffle at him so hard it hit him in the stomach, and he flew through the middle hoop.

"Technically the Quaffle went through the hoop, so Gryffindor scores! That's L/n's first score of the season!"

We continued playing and Slytherin was only able to score three times against us.

"And the scores are thirty – eighty to Gryffindor!" the commentator called.

I shot through the air and intercepted the Quaffle. I tucked it under my arm and flew across the pitch. I dodged a bludger and made it to the end of the pitch before throwing the Quaffle. It went through the hoop and the crowd cheered.

"That's thirty – ninety to Gryffindor! And it looks as if the Gryffindor Seeker has spotted the snitch!"

I looked over to Marlene to see her diving towards the ground. I saw a glimmer of gold and knew it was the snitch. The Slytherin Seeker – Regulus Black, Sirius's younger brother – flew after the snitch as well, close on Marlene's heels.

"Go Marlene!" I yelled.

Marlene stretched out a hand and closed her fingers around the snitch. She levelled out and held her fist in the air. The Gryffindors began cheering and I hollered with them.

The Gryffindor team landed on the pitch, and we all entered a group hug. I clapped Marlene on the back in congratulations and I smiled widely at my team.

"Potter!"

I turned around to see Lily launching herself at James. He dropped his broom to catch Lily, her legs wrapping around his hips before she kissed him.

I think the entire school gasped at the same time. James kissed Lily back and the gasp turned into a massive cheer. I could have sworn I saw money being exchanged. I saw Snape stomping away angrily.

"Well done, you guys!"

I turned around to see Remus. He grinned at me and hugged me tightly. I melted into the hug and pulled back, beaming at him.