Chapter 9 | The Prank

"I'm thinking of gluing the Slytherin common room's door closed," Sirius said as we worked on our homework.

"Yeah, no," I said.

The sound of the crackling fire, the scratching of quills, and the chatter of students filled the Gryffindor common room.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Sirius asked.

"It lacks imagination," I said. "How many times have you glued a door shut?"

"Loads of times. It's great fun," James said, butting in.

"I disagree," I said. "You need to come up with new pranks. That one's getting old."

"Maybe for you," Sirius muttered.

We went back to our homework, occasionally talking. At eight o'clock, I went to the girls' dormitory for bed. I was tired, and ready to hand in my Transfiguration homework the next day.

↢⋄↣

I woke up the next day with a yawn. I got up and went to the bathroom to brush my teeth when I stopped in my tracks.

My eyebrows were neon green.

"Oh no," I muttered, leaning closer to the mirror to get a closer look.

There was nothing to do to fix them. I tried every transfiguration spell I'd ever learnt, but to no avail. What the hell had they done?

I immediately knew it was Sirius. It was because I'd told him his prank lacked imagination, I could feel it in my bones.

"Lily!" I called, running back to our bedroom.

Lily mumbled in her sleep, wrapping the covers tighter around herself.

"Lily, wake up!" I cried. "I've been attacked!"

Lily's eyes opened and she spotted me. After a moment, she giggled.

"It's not funny!" I cried. "My eyebrows are neon green!"

"I know," Lily laughed. "Come on, I'll help you."

Lily got up and grabbed her wand from her bedside table before pointing it at my eyebrows. She muttered an incantation, and her eyebrows furrowed.

"It's not working," she said, looking at her wand.

"That git," I muttered. "I'll murder him."

"I'd like to see that," Lily said. "Come on, lets get dressed and go down to breakfast."

"There is no way I am letting anyone see me like this," I said.

Lily rolled her eyes.

"It's just your eyebrows," Lily muttered.

Lily wasn't able to convince me to come down for breakfast, so she brought me some food. After a whole lot of coaxing and persuasion, Lily was able to convince me to come to our fist class of the day, Transfiguration.

We arrived early and waited out the front of the classroom. I heard someone call out my name and I turned around to face Sirius. He began laughing as soon as he saw my eyebrows, and I scowled at him. James and Peter began laughing too, and Remus tried to hide his smile.

"Good idea, Prongs," Sirius said.

I glared at them both. Stupid James and his smart ideas.

"Can't undo it?" James asked innocently.

"What. Did. You. Do," I demanded.

"Nothing unreversible, if you can find the right spell," Sirius shrugged.

"I will murder you," I seethed.

Sirius and James began chuckling and Remus sighed.

"Come here," Remus said to me.

"No, Moony! You can't!" Sirius said.

"Come on, you've had your laugh," Remus said.

Sirius began grumbling but Remus pulled out his wand and told me to stay still. He muttered a spell, and I felt my eyebrows go warm for a second before they felt normal again. I took James's glasses and used them as a mirror, all the while James began complaining about being blind.

"Your eyebrows look lovely, don't worry," Remus said, grabbed James glasses and handing them back to him.

"Remus, if you're going to compliment a girl, compliment her eyes, not the things above it," Sirius said.

Remus went red and I felt my cheeks heat up.

"Actually, having my eyebrows complimented would be really nice," Lily mused.

"Evans, your eyebrows are just stunning," James said, putting his glasses back on.

Lily smiled and rolled her eyes at him.

"I don't understand why you had to change them back, Moony," Sirius grumbled. "They looked great."

"How would you like it if I turned your eyebrows neon green?" I asked.

"I would look extraordinary either way," Sirius said.

I rolled my eyes but didn't disagree. There was a cough from behind us, and we turned to face Professor McGonagall.

"Are you ready to come in?" she asked coolly.

"Yes, Minnie," Sirius said.

McGonagall just quirked and eyebrow at Sirius before leading us into the classroom. Today's lesson was about Vanishing objects, once again. This time, we were supposed to Vanish a goblet.

When the bell went, Professor McGonagall asked me to stay in.

"Miss L/n," Professor McGonagall began. "I understand that Mr Black and Mr Potter changed the colour of your eyebrows this morning."

How did she know?

"Yeah, they did," I said. "Remus was able to change them back."

McGonagall gave me a Look.

"Miss L/n, if this is an ongoing thing, I would like to advise you to come forward and tell a teacher," she said.

I paused for a moment before I realised she thought I was being bullied.

"Oh, no, Professor," I said quickly. "It's nothing like that. It was just a prank. I'll get them back."

Professor McGonagall looked at me in amusement for a moment.

"Oh, I – uh... I mean... no I won't," I said sheepishly.

McGonagall gave me a rare smile.

"Make sure they don't see it coming," was all she said.