Chapter 13 | Patronus

"Sleeping sounds like such a better idea," Sirius grumbled.

We were at the Gryffindor table, trying to convince Sirius to come to first period.

"It's Defence, though!" I said. "It's one of the best lessons!"

Sirius grumbled but eventually agreed to come. And boy, would he have missed out if he hadn't decided to go.

"A Dementor is a gliding, wraithlike Dark creature that is widely regarded as one of the vilest creatures ever to have existed in the wizarding world," Professor Laufeyson said. "Dementors feed on human happiness, causing depression and despair in anyone who comes into contact with them. They guard the prison, Azkaban, and no one has ever escaped that place."

The class was silent for a moment, taking in the information.

"Now, does anyone know how you can protect yourself from a Dementor?" he asked.

A Ravenclaw raised their hand.

"A Patronus," she said.

"Very good," Professor Laufeyson said. "Five points to Ravenclaw. A Patronus is a guardian which acts like a shield between yourself and the Dementor. It is a projection of the very things that Dementors feed upon – hope, happiness, and the desire to survive. It does not feel despair, as humans do, so the Dementors cannot hurt it. And today, we will be conjuring one."

To conjure a Patronus, you had to think of your happiest memory. I had quite a few memories, majority of them being with my friends.

"Think happier," Professor Laufeyson said. "Think of the best day of your life."

Various voices said the incantation, Expecto Patronum, but the most that happened was a thin wisp of silver floating through the class. James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter seemed to be completely relaxed and hadn't even tried.

"You've done it before, haven't you," I accused them.

"Yep," James said. "Can you do it?"

I glowered at him and thought of my happiest memory.

"Expecto Patronum!" I exclaimed.

A silvery creature burst out of the tip of my wand. There were exclamations, and I watched as a silver wolf ran around the classroom.

"Well done, Miss L/n," Professor Laufeyson said. "Ten points to Gryffindor for the first corporeal Patronus."

I turned around to face my friends and saw Sirius nudge Remus excitedly. Remus pushed him and Sirius rolled his eyes at him.

"Alright, I reckon it's our turn," Sirius said. "Expecto Patronum!"

A massive dog erupted from his wand tip. There was applause and Sirius took a bow. James opened his mouth to cast the spell, but Lily got there first. A doe surged from her wand, galloping around the classroom. The doe faded away, and I looked to James. He was frantically whispering with Sirius, and his face had gone pale.

"What about you, Potter?" Lily asked. "Can you do it?"

"I'm – uh... not sure," he muttered. "I just need to, uh..."

He walked over to Professor Laufeyson and began talking to him in a hushed voice.

"Wonder what's up with him," Lily muttered.

I just shrugged and summoned my Patronus again. I watched it run around the room and intertwine with other Patronuses.

At the end of the lesson, only three people besides Lily, Sirius, and myself had been able to conjure a fully corporeal Patronus.

James stayed back after the lesson to talk to the Professor.

"I need to talk to Professor Laufeyson," Lily said after class. "I'll meet you guys in the Great Hall, okay?"

"Sure," I said. "See you soon."

Remus, Sirius, Peter, and I all walked down to the Great Hall for lunch. During Defence Against the Dark Arts, out of the Marauders, only Sirius had conjured a fully corporeal Patronus. I hadn't expected Peter to be able to conjure one, but Remus hadn't either. When I thought about it, I hadn't seen Remus trying at all.

I was about to ask him about it when Lily appeared and clamped her hand around my arm.

"I need to talk to you," she said urgently.

I stood up and followed her before she could drag me. She pulled me into the Entrance Hall and looked around the room before taking to me in a frantic whisper.

"So you know how I said I needed to talk to Professor Laufeyson?" she asked. "Well, I lied. I went back to see what the hell James was talking to him about, and why he wouldn't conjure a Patronus. So, anyway, I was standing in the doorway, just watching, when James conjured a Patronus, and guess what it was. It was a stag!"

I looked at her in confusion.

"Okay?" I said .

"No, you're not understanding!" Lily said anxiously. "His Patronus was a stag! Mine is a doe!"

It took a moment for it to click in my head.

"There's only one reason for it," I replied.

"What? What is it?" she asked.

"You're meant for each other!" I said excitedly. "Isn't it almost like soulmates? Your Patronuses match! They go with each other! A stag and a doe!"

Lily looked contemplative.

"You think so?" she asked.

I nodded.

"James probably saw your Patronus and already knew his, but didn't want to force you into anything," I said matter-of-factly.

"You think?" she replied.

"Yes," I said.

Lily thought about it for a moment longer before dragging me back into the Great Hall.

"I need to think about it," she said. "But first – food."