Chapter 4: More than 'Just Friends'

Coulson's POV

I followed May back to my office and locked the door behind me. "May?" I tried.  God. Why am I nervous? "You okay?"

She nodded. "It's fine. I'll be fine."

Will be. In the future. She isn't right now. I know something is wrong, I just can't tell what.

"Want to talk?" I tried.

"I'm hungry." She tried to evade the topic. But the truth is, neither of us had eaten since last night.

"What do you want?" I looked up as she sat down in my chair. Melinda May is sitting in MY chair. God, why am I so happy about that?

"Your Chicken Parmesan," She sheepishly smiled, " with a glass or bottle of wine."

"Are you trying to get away with the Andrew topic? Because it's not working." I smiled but it soon faded as I saw her frown. Shit. Something us very wrong. She never takes me teasing her to her heart.

"Mel, what's wrong?" I sat on the couch and patted the space beside me for her to follow, "I feel like I should do something and yet, I don't know what."

"Uhm, Andrew asked me to re-marry him last week. Before all this." I looked up in surprise, "I said No.  He then asked me to go to Hawaii. No. Mauii. with him. I said No to that too. Now that he's asking me again and again, I don't know why but I don't want to leave S.H.I.E.L.D even if it's for a few weeks. I didn't want to leave you.." She looked up at me and stopped fiddling her fingers and sighed. "I didn't want to loose you again." She whispered.

That. Broke. My. Heart. Into. A. Thousand. Pieces. Melinda May, The Cavalry, my best friend didn't want to loose me AGAIN. I forgot she had lost me for months before they revived me with Kree blood. She had lost me. Phil Coulson. Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Her best friend. Dead.

"God, I'm so sorry. I'm,-" I had no words. I had this voice in my head telling me to get up and man up.

I wasn't thinking. I moved towards her and softly placed my lips against hers. She stiffened but soon relaxed into the kiss. I broke it off to take a deep breath and look her in the eyes. Her eyes were twinkling.

"I am sorry. I didn't mean to, -" She cut me off by placing her lips back onto mine. I moved in to deepen the kiss and she followed. Good thing, I locked the door.

Notes:
Yes, I know. We needed that. We needed for Phillinda.
And yes, it was a short chapter.