Chapter 11: Big Day Jitters

It's today. Today. Why am I so anxious? It's nothing new. It's just Phil. The man I've been in love with for more than half of my life. Possibly 30 years. More than that. Deep Breaths, Melinda. Deep Breaths.

Here I stood in my dorm, surrounded by my mom and my bridesmaids, Daisy, Maria and Jemma.

I took a deep breath and stepped into the white dress. It was simple, yet beautiful. Less is more. Daisy and Jemma chose it, saying 'it's exactly like you, May.'

I shook my head and faced everyone in the room. I can't do this. I need Phil. I need to talk to him.

"You look beautiful."

"I,-"

"Here you go, you have 15 minutes."
Daisy handed me her phone and exited the room, the others following her.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Mel."

"Phil."

"How are you doing?"

I sighed and sat at the edge of the bed, "I don't know if I can do this."

"Yeah?" He softly chuckled, "I've seen you do a lot more than this, Mel. Think about all the hard things you did. If that doesn't help, let me know. I'll call it off for you."

"Phil, I,-" I sighed.

"It's not that I don't want to do this. It's that I can't. I'm the Cavalry, the cold-hearted woman everyone at S.H.I.E.L.D fears. How do you know that I won't hurt you? How do I know that I won't hurt you?"

"Because, Melinda, I've known you for more than 30 years. You're my best friend, the one I trust to always have my back. You won't hurt me. And neither will I to you. At least I'll try."

I softly smiled, "I love you, Phil." I took a deep breath, "I want to do this but I can't. Everything that happened in Bahrain, it changed me. I don't know if I'll ever be the Melinda May you knew before."

"I love you too. And I will ALWAYS love you. I don't need the old Melinda May, this one is as good as the old one. I don't care about what happened in Bahrain. I love YOU. EVERY SINGLE YOU. I just want you to be happy, Mel. You're my best friend."

Tears slid down my face as I took a deep breath. "Thank you, Phil. I really needed that."

"Always." I could hear the smile in his words, "that's why I'm here."

"Let's do it."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"I'll see you, Phil. Love you."

"Love you too, Mel." And with that he hung up.