Chapter 24

Y/N's POV:

It was the day when a new Greenie will arrive in the Glade.

I've been here for a year and a half and there was still no clue for a way of getting out of this place. I got used to live here though, among all these boys who were multiplying every month and still no more girls were sent up.

Every time it was the day for the Newbies to come, I was hoping with all my heart that it's going to be a girl, but still, I didn't have that luck. I never understood why I am the only one different, because, even though I remember stuff from the past- pieces or even full memories, or at least that's what I think they are- they only make me doubt my existence here.

All I know is that I took part in the construction of the maze, helped the people who put us here and that some of us were friends before. But the rest of my life is full of fog and it's impossible to pass the steamy wall that surrounds me, blocking my access to my past.

Though, I never spoke to anyone about this. Not even my best friend, Minho. Sometimes, I was feeling so overwhelmed with what I know that I wanted to release myself from this burden and just tell somebody about what I remember, but I knew everyone would hate me for this and never forgive me.

When the booming alarm sounded, we all gathered around the Box. Honestly, I only go there to see if it's a girl or not and when I convince myself that I'm still not lucky, I just leave and mind my business, trying to accept that for another month I'll continue being the only creature some boys can stare at and have fantasies with.

The only things that stayed the same in time- after Alby's new rules and demonstration that raping me means suicide- are the boys' gazes. They kept looking at me with that lust in their eyes, not really trying to hide their desires. Of course, only some of them. The rest might want to use me for their release, but at least they don't show it and I lie to myself that not all of them are the same and that some actually care about me. Obviously, growing up together for almost two years and me being the only girl around means that the boys' wishes- starting with those who'd been here the longest- only amplified by their hormones changing.

It's weird to think about it, that's why I mostly try to ignore it and lock it up deep inside my heart so I won't have to deal with another burden. What I already had going on in my head was definitely enough and I didn't need another battle.

After some time, the Box arrived and when the doors were opened, I looked inside and saw a boy.

I didn't even think it could be a girl.

What was left of my hope was just a little sparkle that has been slowly obliterating over the past years and it will definitely vanish soon enough.

But I froze when I analysed him a bit, his features being nearly shadowed thoroughly by the lack of light in the Box.

Thomas. I thought.

I can swear he's the boy I kept seeing in my dreams. Along with that girl, Teresa. The three of us were always around the Creators. But wait. Why was he sent up here? Why now? There must be something wrong going on because he couldn't be sacrificed as well.

I saw the way the others dragged him up and helped him get on his feet and at that point there was no doubt.

He's Thomas.

After that, I rushed back to the Med-jack's hut where I continued arranging some new stuff we got this week, not really caring about what happens to the Greenie because it's the same story for all of them.

I just kept thinking about Thomas- his presence here.

Maybe he remembers stuff. He used to be too precious for the Creators to just erase his memory so easily. Just like me but somehow they still sent me here and let me remember details from the past. Though, I still think I'm lucky because the things I remember seem to be very important and not wanted to be known by us.