Chapter 12

Y/N's POV:

I went back to the kitchen because there was no other place I could go to.

At least I can stay with Frypan.

When I opened the door, I found him in the same place, doing the same thing.

I moved so silently that he didn't hear me entering, but I went to him anyway. He was standing with the back at me.

"Need help?" I asked, leaning on the counter as he jumped a little when I spoke. He turned around to face me and I saw in his hands two bread slices.

"You could've warned me. You scared the klunk outta me Greenie." he said and laughed.

"Sorry." I replied with a little smile.

"Hey. Are you okay?" he asked concerned, placing the bread down so he could come closer to me.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Why?" I frowned.

"You look worried. And even if you tried to hide it from me, I have a scanner right here." he told me, pointing to his eyes.

How could he know that?

"Yeah... I'm worried." I admitted.

"Why?" he insisted.

"Because of Minho. He didn't look good this morning and I think he should've taken a day off or something," I spoke, looking at my hands. "He seemed sad." I whispered, not actually wanting to be heard.

"He has his reasons to be sad. After what happened." he uttered, looking me in the eyes.

"Wait. What happened?" I questioned, suddenly interested.

"I could bet he didn't tell you." he mumbled.

"Then tell me." I ordered.

"Did you think about what happened the first time when someone got stung?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. I shook my head as a no. "It's the worst feeling to lose your best friend." he added.

"I know. Or at least I can imagine." I replied.

"That happened to Minho. He lost his best friend like this. I don't know too much. He didn't want to talk about it." Frypan said.

"When did it happen?" I questioned, sadness already filling me.

"Two months ago. Jack was the first one who'd ever got stung. That's how we found out what these shucking Grievers do. And we didn't know how to save him so we had to banish him into the Maze," he replied, his voice trembling. "I don't know how it happened. Minho never told us. It's a sensitive subject. And since Jack died, no one talked again about him," he continued and a tear rolled down his cheek. "He was our friend. Everyone misses him. But we have to go forward. And who knows who'll be next." Frypan lifted his head and looked at me.

"I... I'm really sorry I-" I spoke but I couldn't find my words.

It's so sad. I can't even imagine how bad they feel.

I went to our Cook and hugged him. He hugged me back.

"I'm really sorry for what happened." I said slowly.

"It's not your fault." he replied and I felt my eyes widen.

It's not your fault.

These words glued to my brain. But.. maybe he's right. Maybe... I didn't do anything wrong.

"Do you need help with making the breakfast?" I asked, pulling away and trying to change the subject.

"Yeah." he said and we started to make other sandwiches.