Chapter 16

Y/N's POV:

"I'm good." I replied, looking at Newt.

He opened his mouth to speak but a loud noise made him close it back.

It was the Gate.

It was opening and I'm pretty sure that the Runners already ran into the Maze for a new day of trying to find a way out. And if not, then trying to find something more interesting than walls everywhere.

I can't wait for the evening to come so the Meeting about the new rules will start.

I wanted to finally feel safe. It was the only thing that was still haunting my inside. I was always thinking about what could happen if I didn't run away from James. If I had stayed there, watching him coming and not doing anything about it.

I would've regretted it. It's so much better that I thought fast at that moment. I'm glad cause I ran off. I guess it saved my life from a very bad ending.

I was also thinking about the boys. About how vulnerable I feel when I'm around them and they give me weird smiles or glances.

Or maybe I'm just hallucinating?

Who knows how long it'll take till they're gonna try something as James did before.

This is my biggest fear.

"You decided to wake up early, shank? Why?" Newt asked as the sound stopped.

"Because I don't have another choice. I wake up at 5 am every morning because of Minho's cursed alarm. It's too loud." I replied slowly, looking at my hands.

I was feeling weird. It was like something inside me was screaming that something bad it's going to happen today. From where it came from, I have no idea.

I guess it's only because I thought too much about what the boys can do. I gotta think about something else. I'm gonna slowly go crazy if I continue like this.

***Time skips***

I was in the Med-jack's hut, helping Clint with arranging some supplies when I heard screams from the outside.

Me and my boss- since he's the Keeper, he's kinda like a boss to me- shared some worried looks as we ran out to see what's going on.

A Runner was back. He stopped as he entered into the Glade, next to the gate, falling on his knees.

We just had lunch an hour ago. He shouldn't be back that early.

We rushed to him, together with other boys who heard him yelling for help.

I didn't notice that there was someone laid down till we got closer to the Runner.

Alby and Newt arrived at the same time with me, Clint being a slower runner, other boys still coming in this direction. Even the Track-Hoes stopped their work to come and see.

"What happened?!" Alby asked worriedly.

"He... he got... stung." the Runner, whose name I didn't know, said while panting, breathing irregularly like he just ran 20 kilometres straight.

I guess he used all his powers to drag his friend back in the Glade.

The laid-down Runner must've fainted as Minho told me about his own friend.

Wait. That means this guy will be banished? There's nothing they can do? Oh God, now I understand how bad it actually is.

"Shuck it!" Alby yelled. "Take him to the Med-jack's hut!" he ordered and some boys picked him up, heading to our hut, Newt and our leader coming right behind them.