Chapter nineteen

Every nerve in my body was throwing hysterics at the thought of Ryan's untold girlfriend. I distinctly remember him mentioning her a few days back when he was having a big clash with Stella.

My phone beeped showing a text from Ryan.

"Meet me outside now".

I looked up from my table and I saw Ryan standing up from his seat. He signaled for me to meet him outside.

I thought we had a deal to not openly talk in school.

I excused myself and followed him outside.

"Ryan I thought we agreed to not speak openly on school premises," I argued throwing my hands in the air.

" Ya ya. I know. But I wouldn't call you if it wasn't important." He replied with a serious tone.

"Okay. Go on." I replied as I crossed my hands giving him my full attention.

" This was a last-minute thing. So please don't get the wrong idea." He looked sincerely.

" Depends on what you say".

He looked a lot nervous as the words left his mouth." Can we go on a date today?"

" Pardon me !? " I replied. Did he just ask me out on a date?

" Mia I know I shouldn't be asking you all this when you like someone else. But my dad and your grandpa feel that we are not getting anywhere in this relationship. I told them that you were busy but they didn't seem to believe me. " He word vomited without stopping to take a breath.

Though I didn't want to go on a date with him I still needed to ask him about his girlfriend. I took this as an opportunity to know him better.

" Fine, I will go on a date with you. But it's not like a date date. It's just two good friends hanging out. " I told him acting to be all casual.

" Ya sure. " He replied mocking me. He was trying so hard to suppress his laughter.

" What ?"

" I know you are dying to go out with me".

Ah. The nerve of this guy.

" And what gave you that idea good sir," I asked back taunting him.

" You think I didn't notice your stare throwing daggers toward Stella in the cafeteria? If I hadn't stepped in she would be a dead meat."

" What !? That's not true " I tried to hide my true feelings.

" Come on Mia. I could smell the jealousy radiating from you from three rows away".

" Your mind is playing tricks with you Ryan". I replied still standing on my guard.

" Then I guess you won't have any problem with Amelia ." He shrugged casually.

" Who is Amelia?" I asked with curiosity and a little bit of jealousy evident in my voice.

" Well, she is my childhood friend. We practically grew up together. We were stuck to each other like glue. One sight of us and anyone would think we were dating. But she is my best friend. I called you outside mainly to talk about her."
He replied.

" You called me out of nowhere to talk about your childhood best friend?".I reasoned not understanding why this was the topic of the hour.

" She moved away when we were ten . But I met her often and kept in touch. She is moving back . She will be here in our school any minute now".

" Okay. Why should I know about this?".

" She doesn't know that we are married. So being her old cheerful self she may throw herself at me at every opportunity she gets. I mean not in the wrong way. But we are close like that. I just thought you should know. " He finished, looking at anywhere but me.

" Really Ryan. Do you think I care about all this stuff?"

" Trust me when I say this Mia. She is my best friend and nothing else. Promise me that you won't get jealous"

" Why would I be jealous of your friend when you already have a girlfriend?" I backfired.

Ryan raised his eyebrows perplexed. "I don't understand what you mean".

" Enough with your acts Ryan. I know you have a girlfriend. You brought her up the other day when you were fighting with Stella."

Ryan took a deep breath and started fidgeting with the hem of his shirt. "Mia that was a lie. I don't have a girlfriend. I lied to Stella to protect you. She can be seriously criminal-minded when it comes to commitments. I knew she would leave you alone if I bad-mouthed about you and that's what I did. But I like you a lot more than it meets the eye." He said.

My whole brain stopped working on hearing the truth behind his lie and my body was stiff as a stone. Oh my god. He was trying to protect me and here I thought he was the bad guy.  This all makes sense now. His rude behavior and avoidance at school were all to protect me.

" I am so sorry Ryan. I thought you hated me." I replied sadly.

"Nonsense. Who would hate a girl like you.? You are cute,  funny, and dangerously attractive. Why do you think I accepted to marry you.? Sure your grandpa was one of the reasons but the truth is you are a mystery to me, Mia. When I look at you I feel like you are more than just an ordinary girl. I wanted to know more about you. That's why when the opportunity presented itself I grabbed it. You still are a great mystery to me, Mia. I have a lot of feelings towards you but hate is not one of them." He inched closer as he closed the gap between us. He lightly stroked my cheek and whispered in my ears,
" Don't forget about our date wifey, see ya ". And left just like that.

My eyes widened with his choice of nickname. But most of all my heart sank deep on knowing how he felt about me. I could sense my feelings growing stronger towards him. My perspective towards Ryan was changing. Day by day the long-lost love that I had for him is starting to show again.

I had to choose between the two. And I know very well who is going to win in the end.