Chapter thirty four

" When you and Zack met with the accident, I was in the car that came behind yours. I witnessed the whole accident. Some drunk guys hit your car and escaped at the first chance they got. Before I could catch them they were long gone. Both of you were lying unconsciously. I carried you both back to my car and drove to the nearest hospital. That's when your pendant came loose. I kept it with me all these years and for some odd reason, I didn't want to let it go. I kept it safely in my wardrobe and yesterday in my room, when you were so close to looking at it while looking at pictures of me and Cole, I got tensed. Because then you would ask me what happened and I was not ready to tell you that you lost your memory which you were unaware of till now." he was worried as he spoke further. "After I admitted you both, Zack was doing pretty well with only minor injuries. But you did not regain consciousness. I left you when your parents were back. The doctor who attended you was my cousin. That's how I came to know that Zack was your friend and he was doing okay but you lost your memory. After a few days, I saw you at my school. I can't explain it Mia but I felt something for you the minute I saw you for the first time. Something inside me was screaming to protect you in all possible ways. I can't just explain it. I have never felt this way about any girl in my life. I tried to protect you from Stella because I know the level of torture she can cause you if she knows that I like you. When your grandfather proposed marriage, I was too excited. I meant every word that I said in my vows. I was in a lot of pain when you told me about your secret admirer. But things were starting to change Mia. I saw you reflecting on my every feeling as days went by. When you told me that we don't have to follow the contract, I was the happiest person Mia. But I don't understand why you want to get back with your secret admirer after you spoke those words to me. And just a few minutes ago I got a call from the same cousin who treated you in the past, stating that he saw you in the hospital when you were getting treated for another head injury. I couldn't bear the pain Mia." He hugged me tightly as he continued," I was so scared and I called you. I immediately had to see you. That's why I came here so fast. I am not ready to leave you alone tonight Mia. Let's go home. Please" he sincerely pleaded.

'I am feeling shocked' was an understatement. Ryan loved me so much. I could feel his fast-beating heart with just a hug. I wanted to calm him down. But I knew Zack was looking at everything.

I hugged Ryan back. " Let's go home," I said as he led me to the car.

Zack was looking brokenhearted.

No words were exchanged after that.

I waved them goodbye as we rode back home.
At least Ryan looked peaceful after I accepted to come with him.

When we reached home, Ryan accompanied me to the bedroom making sure I was feeling okay.

I changed into a pair of more comfortable clothes in the walk-in wardrobe. 

When I came out, Ryan also changed into a set of shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt and was already in bed waiting for me.
Like it was a regular thing, I slid under his arms as he cuddled me from behind. I was watching the night stars as we left the door to our balcony open. Ryan's grip was more protective and stronger like he was scared I would go away without his hands on me.

The position gave me so much comfort as our bodies complimented each other. It was a perfect fit.

"You didn't ask me about my secret admirer," I started more like I was expecting him to ask.

" I don't care Mia. I don't care who he is. As long as you are safe, it's all I need for this night.  If you feel even the slightest headache, I demand you to tell me. Doesn't matter which time. If you feel any discomfort, you will tell me, Mia.  Nothing in this world is more important to me than you Mia. We can talk about everything else tomorrow."

Ryan was right. Today was not the night. I was already exhausted and my body was giving away.

And so we slipped into a world of dreams and soon deep slumber engulfed us. And without any doubt, this was the most comfort I had experienced.

With my eyes still shut,  I groaned as the morning light greeted us to wake up. We forgot to close the drapes last night.

Though it was still early in the morning, I didn't feel the need to sleep anymore. My brain got active thinking about last night's events.

Ryan was still sleeping but rolled and occupied the other end of the bed. He was sound asleep.

My phone beeped with a text message from an unknown number.
Grumpily I took the phone. My hair was messy and my eyes were not fully opened.

It was Zack.

" Hi, Mia. Just wanted to check on you. Hope you are alright. Take some rest but when you are ready, we need to talk" read the text message.

I sighed hard at my situation. On one side I have Ryan and on the other side, I have Zack. Both these boys love me so much.
I have to choose one soon so that the other can move on.

Ryan woke up from his sleep and soon after he saw me awake, he moved closer and hugged me.

" Good morning beautiful. Hope you had a good sleep. Do you feel any pain in your head?" He asked in his sleepy voice with half-opened eyes.

I replied with a 'no'.

" Good." He finished.

" Mia, who is your secret admirer?" He asked casually.

My mind was still battling to give him an answer.

" I am asking you because you asked me yesterday night. If you wanna talk, we can talk now".

" Zack was my secret admirer," I said in a low voice. " The time when you saved us, he was my boyfriend. After the accident, I lost my memory and now I am regaining them one by one" I replied still lying on the bed and staring at the now interesting roof on top of me.

No voices came from my side.

When I looked to my left, Ryan's face was filled with hurt.

After a few minutes of silence, he opened his mouth.

" Mia, I love you more than you know. But I swear I had no idea that Zack was your boyfriend that day. I thought that he was your friend. I will fully understand and support whatever decision you take Mia. I love you."

I wanted to talk to him honestly. I wanted to open my heart to him.

" I am not gonna lie Ryan. Those memories are bringing back the old love I had for him. But somewhere along these days, I have fallen hard for you. I don't know if it's the fact that we are married, exchanged vows, or the way you always protected and took care of me. Zack was my love but the ties between me and Zack feel like a distant memory to me now. But with you everything is real. Yesterday night when you came to pick me up, I chose you in a heartbeat instead of staying at his house. I want you. But you need to understand that I have to meet Zack and explain everything to him so that he can move on. I can't keep him hanging by the thread."

The next thing I knew, Ryan hugged me tightly and kissed me.

One thing led to another and I gave myself to him.

Yes, we consummated our marriage.