Chapter twenty four

My brain was becoming nonfunctional. My senses were so hyped that I unconsciously moved my hands over his head and pulled closer.

"Eww" a small boy's voice echoed through the woods.

Ryan and I immediately jumped away from each other startled by the sudden appearance of my little brother.

" Ah, Dylan when did you wake up?" I asked the small figure standing in the middle of the tall trees.

" Just now ". He said smiling.

I walked towards my sleepy little brother and took his hand in mine as Ryan followed us to the car.

As we rode back my lips could not contain the smile and excitement I was feeling right now. I took small glances at Ryan who was fully focused on the cars before us but with a more relaxed gesture than before.

We arrived at our grandpa's house fully exhausted from the long travel.

"My darling Mia ." My grandpa hugged me and Ryan tightly with a lot of love and happiness.

"Grandpa.. " I mirrored his expression. He looked a lot better than before.

" Now it's already late. Let's eat together." He insisted.

After dinner, Dylan and my grandpa went up to their rooms.

I opened the door to our room. The fresh scent of lavender hit my nostrils. I opened my wardrobe to change into a comfortable set of clothes. As I searched through my belongings a shiny white stone caught my eye. It was our wedding rings neatly placed in a highly-priced jewelry box. I opened them as I reminisced about our wedding moments.

" They are beautiful just like you" Ryan voiced out from behind me.

He took my ring and gently slid it through my finger.

" Do you still feel we need a contract for one year?" He asked me hoping that I would give him a positive response.

" No. We can give this marriage a chance to see where it goes. " I said confidently.

He smiled brightly as he was content with my answer.

I was very much assured that I liked him a lot.

Just then someone knocked on the door. We let go of our romantic moment to see who it was that disturbed us during the middle of the night.

It was one of the staff who worked for Grandpa.
" Sir I am sorry to disturb you but Mr. David is feeling breathless. We have already informed 911".

Panic struck our hearts on hearing the news of my grandpa's sudden health deterioration.
We rushed to his room only to find him struggling to take a breath.

Within a few minutes, the ambulance showed up and we shifted my grandpa to the hospital. I informed our parents to reach the hospital on the next available flight.

The doctors rushed to his room one after another. The whole scene felt scary as hell.

My grandpa has experienced a sudden cardiac arrest. With timely help, we were able to revive him but his condition was critical.

Our parents arrived the next day. We spent the next three days in the hospital hoping that grandpa would be out of danger and back on his toes. I spent most of the time crying my eyes out on Ryan's chest.

Our parents insisted that we get back to school and they would take good care of him. The doctors assured us that my grandpa was doing better than before. Ryan and I came back while Dylan and our parents stayed back with Grandpa.
We rode back and I stayed in Ryan's house for the night.

The next morning we went back to our school as usual. Our faces looked dull and we didn't talk much unless it felt necessary.

It was already time for lunch. The cafeteria was buzzing with students. Today we all choose to sit together. Me, Nikki, and Shane sat on one side while Ryan, Amelia, Kate, and Adam sat on opposite sides.

Amelia was trying her level best to amend ways with Ryan but he was earless to all her cries.

Sounds of phone notifications were heard all over the cafe. People started forming groups and talking about some breaking news that popped up on their phones.

" What was all the fuss about?" Nikki asked no one in particular.

Just then Ryan's phone beeped with a message. He intensely read the news on his phone and looked back at me like something awful had happened.

I pulled his phone towards me not caring what others thought about my action.

' Breaking news. Businessman of the Year Mr. David is in a critical state. Sources state that his unidentified granddaughter would be the next CEO of his office. Who is she? All we know is that she goes to West High School'  read as headlines.

My eyes bulged at all angles unable to comprehend the leaked news. I looked up at Ryan who had the same expression as mine. Surprised, confused, and scared.

I called my dad immediately to enquire about my grandpa's health.

Just then Stella walked up to one of the tables placed in the centre of the cafe. She pulled up a speaker and placed it near her mouth and started shouting the words.

" You guys want another breaking news. I am pregnant with Ryan's child.