Chapter twenty seven

The whole crowd broke into whispers. But their conversations grew only smaller as I was steadily escorted out of school.

We got into our high-priced fancy car as it drove to Ryan's house. The drive back was silent as no words were exchanged. The truth was I didn't know what to tell him after the confession he made publically. But a major part of me was happy that we both felt the same.

Ryan's house was getting renovated. Most of them were covered in dust and construction items.

As I entered his house Ryan insisted that I use his room which was the only one usable for the time being.

" Mia, go freshen up yourself. I have some matters to deal with" he said and disappeared into the cement exposed part of the house.

I went to his room upstairs closed it behind me and slumped into his bed. My hands covered my face in disbelief at all the recent events. How am I going to go to school? What will I tell my friends? Million things were running in my mind.

It was already an hour and Ryan hadn't shown up. I wanted to kill some time and so I slowly explored his room. I examined each picture one by one. I had been to his house a lot but never got time to look closely at his room or his walls.

Just as I walked alongside his table that contained his childhood picture one particular picture caught my eye.

I took it to look closely slightly refusing the truth that lay with it. Surely it was a recent one.
It was a picture of Ryan all smiles along with two other boys. I was familiar with one of them. He goes to my school but I don't remember his name. But the other guy was my target of concern.

It was Cole. The guy who played Cupid between me and my secret admirer.

Ryan knew Cole. Can he be my secret admirer?

I kept the picture back in its original place. Every sense of instinct inside me was screaming to look out for more. Without any second thought, I rampaged through his drawers.

As I opened the second drawer below the picture, something shiny and sparkly caught my eye. I carefully lifted the silver-coated heart-shaped pendant. It was mine. I lost it a long time ago. I remember this pendant very well because my dad gifted this to me on my birthday and I cried for three days straight when I lost it. I opened the heart and yes indeed it was mine. It had a picture of me and my family all smiling at the camera.

How did Ryan get this?

Patience was not my friend right now. I kept searching every wooden piece of furniture in his room.

Just then I heard a knock on the door.
I only had one last compartment at the corner to search. But I would need a lot of time to go through them.

Acting against my will I decided to open the door before I hid my pendant below the pillow.

Ryan came in once I gave him way.

" I am sorry. It's such a mess outside. I thought we wouldn't be coming here for the next two weeks and started all this work. The whole house is renovated except for my room. So we will have to stay here for the night. I hope that's fine." He asked me nervously.

" Ya, it's fine," I replied dryly.

" Are you okay? You seem a little distant in thoughts" he enquired concerned.

" Ya. I am good. I am just a little hungry. Can you get me something to eat" I came up with the best lie I could.

Ryan only smiled and took out his phone to order food. We decided to have a pizza.

Within a few minutes, the delivery guy called Ryan's phone and he took his time to go out and get the pizza.

I immediately closed the door and rushed to the one last compartment I wanted to explore.
It had a lot of storage like books and albums. I took them out and started tossing and surfing through them with my fingers. It's already been five minutes. Ryan will be back anytime now. As I dug in deeper I saw a beautiful gold-tinted box big enough to occupy three to four broad books. But the most suspicious part was my name printed on its top in bright pink letters. MIA.

I opened them with shaky hands because I already knew what was going to be in them.
It only takes a little bit of thinking to put my pendant and Cole into revealing the big secret.

Some velvet red material covered the insides of the box and on top of it was my beautiful, memorable blank bundle of pink notes. I would recognize these notes from anywhere because, at the right bottom edge, they had two roses with two leaves.

The box also had a spare phone. I took my phone and did the obvious. I called my secret admirer's number and soon enough the phone in my hand lit up with my name flashing on it.

I heard footsteps approaching the room. I quickly kept everything in its place and ran out to the balcony panicking and pacing and putting everything together.

Ryan. He was my husband / first kiss / soon-to-be boyfriend.

But most importantly he was my secret admirer.