Chapter thirty

" What do you mean,' cheated on your lover boy'? " Anger was surging inside me with the ill-mannered way he questioned me.

"You were ready to marry Ryan while you were still romancing on the phone with your lover boy weren't you?"

I looked around at the two other people in the room. Jay kept his phone down and was all ears now. Zack leaned back on the couch, staring at the table in front of him with a vacant expression.

" Cole, you do not get to judge me without knowing the whole truth." I was almost yelling back at him.

" Okay then. We have the whole day Mia. Just tell us what happened and why you married Ryan?"

" I.. cole ... It's just... " I was stuck for forming a proper word. " I married him because it was my dying grandpa's last wish," I told him honestly. " Ryan's grandpa and my grandpa were business partners. My grandpa almost forced me to marry him for the sake of our business. Ryan told me that we would only be married for a year before we applied for divorce. So he told me not to break up with my lover boy as this was only a contract thing".

"But you anyway broke up with him?" He backfired.

" Yes." My voice was starting to crack.
" I felt like cheating on him when I started to have feelings for Ryan. It was not fair to both of them. Anyways what difference does it make?"

" You broke someone's heart, Mia".

" How did I break anyone's heart when my secret admirer is Ryan." I tried to argue back.

" What made you think that Ryan is your secret admirer?" He asked all confused and lost in time.

Zack who was looking at the table till now like it was a new invention immediately turned his head to me to hear my answer.

"I saw the box with my name and the pink notes and the cell phone in Ryan's room."

After receiving my answer, Cole facepalmed himself, while Jay and Zack looked at Cole with enraged eyes.

" Cole, what the hell is happening here? From the time I arrived, your guys have been behaving a little strange"  I asked as fear crept into me.

" It's nothing. There is no use talking about this now." Zack spoke in a low voice. " I have only one question for you Mia. Do you love Ryan?"

"I think I do but I am still not sure. I am willing to try my relationship with him. I didn't like him at first but during the past few months, he has grown up on me."

" What about your lover boy Mia? Just honestly tell me assuming you don't know who he is still.  What do you feel about him?" Cole asked.

" I...I feel" I started with the stammering again." I liked him, Cole. I was ready to give him my time and wanted to work things out. But you know, a person in reality captures most of our attention than the one who talks through other means of communication. If I hadn't met Ryan in my life or if things hadn't happened the way they have now, I am very confident that I would still be awestruck by my lover boy. I loved him so much. But I guess fate had different plans for me. I still remember all the days I longed to meet him. How I jumped up in joy when I received his pink notes. His texts were soothing in times of difficulty. I loved him to bits and pieces but Ryan changed me little by little. He became a part of my family. When he married me, I unconsciously started to execute my rights to him as his wife. He was also my first crush. Things took a turn in my life as we both spent more time together. I don't understand why my lover boy did not want to meet me. But I am a lot relieved from the moment I know that he was my secret admirer". I finished as I had to take in breaths from the nonstop talking.

Just then as my cue to leave, my phone started ringing. The name ' Ryan' flashed on its screen.

I attended the call to speak to the person on the other side.

" Mia, where are you?"

" I just came to visit a friend's house," I replied not having recovered from my anger on him for ditching me this morning.

" Come home, please. I am sorry for the way I behaved in the morning. I just don't understand Mia. Why did you confuse me with your lover boy? I can assure you that I am not your lover boy."

I hung up the phone suddenly as he exposed his part of the truth.

Ryan was not my secret admirer.

My head was starting to spin from all the uncertainty.

The only person who knew the answer to them all was sitting right in front of me.

" Cole, I need to know the truth now. Just tell me please. Who is my secret admirer?".I asked in a pleading voice.

Cole hesitated for a few minutes when finally his gaze changed directions from me to the boy next to me.

Zack.

I need not be told twice to know the answer to my question.

Zack was my secret admirer.