The Red Fucking Hood

Sorry in advance for this chapter. It's a bit of a trigger chap so here's your warning of violence.

This auction was taking way too fucking long.

I frowned, expressing my boredom through the group chat. 

'Just say the word and we’ll crash it!'

Harley’s text popped up on the screen and I smirked, glancing around like a schoolgirl during class.

I caught the eyes of a man a few seats down.

He was handsome. A poor copy of Bruce’s eyes, slicked-back hair, and pink lips.

He looked moments away from a chuckle as he glanced down at my phone and back up with a goofy smirk.

He reminds me a bit of Bruce, except he’s not.

And I’m not sure which is worse, and which is better. 

'We’re not crashing the party Harls, we have a date, remember?'

Pamela used a ‘meh’ face to punctuate her annoyance.

Smiling, I glanced back at the man. He was looking at Bruce as he began the bidding and I watched the way he glanced back to lock eyes with me.

He was smiling at me and I let my eyes trail down the expense of his neck.

Charming, like Bruce, always was. But not talking with another woman.

Maybe I’m acting too clingy, maybe I’m too attached.

But I can’t be the only one feeling this way right?

I mean, he invited me to the gala, bought me a dress.

Hell, he even bought me comfort clothes!

Yet...who is that woman beside him?

That Selina…

“(Y/N), I’m glad I ran into you again.”

Speak of the devil and she shall appear, I guess.

Selina slipped into a seat beside me, which had been empty since the auction began.

I smiled at her before glancing down to see Harley and Pamela had carried out another argument that ended with Pamela telling her to ‘get your sexy ass over here before I tie it up with my plants.’

Clicking the screen off, I put it away to give Selina my undivided attention.

“What are you planning on bidding on?” 

“Um…actually I’m just here for moral support. You see, Bruce invited me but I can’t really bid on anything.”

I gave a sheepish chuckle, rubbing the back of my neck. Selina hummed, sipping another glass of champagne. 

“I have my eye on a very particular item, but I’m afraid the price might go beyond my range.”

She narrowed her eyes at the stage, and I could almost see them imagining what was behind the curtain. 

“Oh which item?”

I leaned over, trying to see if I could get a peek at the items being auctioned. I couldn’t and pouted at my failure. 

“A diamond.” 

Blinking, I took in her profile before she turned to me with a smile.

“Happy bidding,'' she said, looking back and watching the auction.

I followed suit, turning back to Bruce.

An artifact was now displayed upon the stage. It was a tall statue of a naked woman, her breasts on proud display, and her ‘lady bits’ were covered by a sash laying low on her hips.