39

"I didn't tell Fred."

"George."

"I panicked."

That's the conversation we have several times over the next week, until school starts. Every time, he has a similar but different excuse, and every time I offer to talk to Fred myself or at least be there while George does it to ensure he can't back out, he shoots my idea down.

"At least tell him by Valentine's Day, will you?" I asked him one day as we met up in the hall before dinner. It was a few weeks then since the new year began, and while we were nearing the end of January, we still hadn't told Fred, figured out the clue for the Second Task (which was about a month away at that point), or gotten the map back.

Ever since the note, I've kept extremely limited contact with Remus, while also avoiding Moody as often as possible outside of class. At this point, I'm terrified, because I have no clue what he'll do or what he's capable of.

But I suppose, if I look on the bright side, I know I'm on the right track if he's threatening the people I care about to keep me quiet.

"Why Valentine's Day?" George asked, and I gave him a look as we walked into the Great Hall.

"So that we can go on a date without him wondering why we're both conveniently missing on Valentine's Day."

George smiled sheepishly. "Right. Sorry. This is the first year that it won't be just a normal day for me."

I couldn't help but smile back at him. I couldn't blame him, considering this is my first relationship, too. Though I will admit that all those years that I thought about finally getting to be with George, I never imagined we'd be together behind Fred's back.

"Same for me," I said, "I don't even know what people do on Valentine's Day."

George started to smirk. "I have a few ideas," he said, winking at me, and I hoped I wasn't blushing too much by the time we got to the table. It had been a few weeks since the prefect's bathroom, and with school starting up again - which meant prefect rounds and piles of homework for me - we hadn't found a lot of time to be alone again. But after George's promise that I'll "get my turn," I'm definitely looking forward to the next time we find alone time.

I suppose I have Valentine's Day to look forward to, if things go accordingly.

I made sure to tell Harry that I figured out how to get to the clue for the Second Task, and I promised him that if I had any breakthrough when it came to figuring out the clue itself, I'd let him know. He promised he's do the same for me, and admitted that he was going to go straight to Hermione for help.

Roger has since made it his goal to figure out the clue completely on his own, and at this point, I'm just letting him. While he hasn't admitted it out loud, I think it's an excuse to avoid Lee - who he still hasn't talked to. Though I can't really blame him, considering the situation George and I are in.

And then there's Fred. Fred, who hasn't made a move on me or tried to admit his feelings to me, and I hope it's because they're going away. I end up hearing, as January stretched on, that he's spending more time with both Alicia and Angelina - separately, of course - and while he hasn't mentioned it to me, I can only hope he's being smart about whatever he's doing so that one - or both - of the girls don't end up heartbroken.

Needless to say, my friend group knows how to make things messy.

George and I discreetly celebrate our one month anniversary on January twenty-fifth, and while we have fun having our own little dinner together and kissing and star-gazing, I feel guilty nearly the whole time, knowing that Fred doesn't know.