support

2021 july 27th , USA

The sun was shining down brightly, making the water in the pool glitter like a thousand diamonds. A pale body was lazily enjoying the heat while floating on a hot pink donut in the middle of it.

A few meters away another person's feet could be seen on the sunbed from underneath a thin white blanket. The two were just chilling in their backyard, listening to music and waiting for the guests that had announced their visit a few days prior to arrive.

"You should apply more sunscreen as it's getting warmer. I don't want you to get a sunburn and complain later about it."

"It's been barely fifteen minutes since I applied some, so I don't think it's necessary. And what can a little sun do anyways? You could also use some vitamin D, don't you think?"

"I know that, but not at noon when the sun is literally scorching everything. Your pale self will only burn from this exposure. What will your soulmate say if he suddenly sees the outline of your sunglasses on your face?"

"Well, that is his problem. He can't really change me, so either take me the way I am or get used to it. But seeing as our soulmates already know even our less sophisticated sides it should be okay."

"That's true, but still, try to not get your face burned, cuz I ain't applying yoghurt on it tonight."

The two heard the doorbell, stopping their chat, and turned tothey two silhouettes approaching them from the house. The familiar faces soon came into view, greeting the two who had now stopped their childish banter.

"Seol-ah! It's been such a long time since I saw you!" The older girl that arrived directly went to her younger cousin, who was on the sunbed, hugging her tightly.

The tall male tagging along behind her went to the pool, greeting his friend who was still floating around the pool.

"Seol-ah, let me introduce you my boyfriend Johnny in person too." The older girl, Irene, pulled over the tall man who gave them a cute smile. Seol kindly shook hands with the gentle giant and offered to get the two new arrivals some drinks, since the house owner was refusing to leave his donut.

It's been a little more than a week since Seol came to the states after staying at her grandparents' house for a while and stopping by at home for a few days. Her cousin Jaehyun, with whom she is staying now, is like an older brother to her.

He went to Seoul for her graduation, but since it got a bit messy, instead of staying back at the Min's house, the two came here. Jaehyun has moved to New York for college, and stayed here after graduating, working at a private hospital for hybrids. Irene is his older sister, who moved to Chicago after meeting Johnny a few years ago.

Seol enjoyed the company of her relatives, since back at home she would have felt lonely. Her parents left for a two week long holiday after her graduation, trusting Jae and her friends to keep her company. What they didn't know though, was the mess that happened on her big day.

Jaehyun has listened to the girl's worries after realising that something was wrong with her. He had to take in a lot, as they hadn't had too much time for deep talks during the past few years. Just by hearing about all the hardships she had to deal with on her own, he felt his heart break.

It was him who insisted on Seol getting away from home for a while, so she could take her mind off of things for a bit.

The two of them enjoyed the warm summer days visiting the beach, sightseeing, going to the aquarium and eating outside in the evenings. Since Jaehyun's boyfriend had to leave the states because of work, the two were spending these past days together, just chilling and bickering.

It was now only a few days before Seol would leave back for Korea, and the four of them decided to have a BBQ party before that. During her stay with her cousin she was able to clear her head and calm herself down.

The decision she has made years ago was for herself, and she was allowed to be selfish this time without feeling guilty. It took her a lot of persuasion to accept that fact, but now she was ready to face the consequences and stand up for herself.