talk

2021 july 23rd, Seoul

It was Donghyuck's fault that the two were now facing his older-female-version praying that she wouldn't pry too much. Renjun's mind had been thinking of excuses and ways to explain the situation that both of them are in.

They guessed what the interrogation would be about, but neither of the boys knew just how much Mrs Lee had seen. The night before, when they were talking about how they should cope with everything, it was Hyuck who noticed the slight glowing of their wrists.

Being the more curious one he decided to remove his skin patch and reveal the faintly glowing tattoo. He hasn't really looked at it since the first night after their bonding, but he could still clearly tell the changes that happened, probably during the past hours they had been hanging out.

The once completely red betta fish tattoo had now taken on some of its soulmate's colours, and now had royal blue in it. The ends of the tail and the fins were bright blue and slowly faded into the red color that still coated ninety percent of its body.

The slight glow was emitted from the parts that shone blue, and soon died down when the mark took on its final colouring.

Renjun just watched this from beside his friend, being amazed at how his animal side actually influenced the other's. He didn't think they would experience something like this, as Seol was on the receiving end of their bond as the female.

Since both barely knew about people with two soulmates, they didn't know what to expect from their situation. His hand was then grabbed, and in seconds the skin patch covering his tattoo was discarded, revealing a similar change.

On Renjun's mark too, the ends of the tail and the fins changed to his soulmate's, Hyuck's bright red shade.

The two were pretty calm until then, but seeing how they now became connected and inseparable did scare them. So what now?

They had told each other until just a few minutes earlier that even if they are soulmates, they can just stay best friends. Them being soulmates doesn't force them to fall in love and be together, right?

The two boys figured that it would be like that, and they could find girlfriends now that they know that their soulmates are their best friends. The two eventually ended up passing out while talking, totally forgetting to put on a new patch to hide away the mark, and that's what led them to their current situation.

"So, is there something you'd like to tell me son?" the woman asked expectantly, looking straight at the tan male across her. Donghyuck was not sure about anything yet, but in hopes that his mom could help them out he decided to tell her what he knew.

Keeping it short and summing up the most important things, skipping the drama, Mrs Lee got informed about their situation.

"Wait...so you're telling me that you have found your soulmate weeks ago, and that it's not one but two people? And on top of that, the two soulmates you got are your two best friends?"

Mrs Lee repeated to make sure she got everything right, as her son pretty much rambled about everything from being too nervous. In return she got nods from both boys on the sofa, which made her sigh before leaning back into the chair.

"This is going to be tricky..." she looked at the two boys before continuing. "You two seem pretty calm and composed about it. Are you okay with what just happened to you?"

The two nodded, although they seemed a bit confused as to why Donghyuck's mother would seem so serious all of a sudden. "Okay then...and what about Seol? How did she take the news?" Hyuck's head was the first to drop letting out only a sigh, thus Renjun took it upon himself to answer.

"We actually don't know about her... She and Hyuck both seemed to take the news equally bad, but since we all took off to vacation the next day, we didn't talk about it. Hyuck and I talked it out yesterday, but we have to wait for her to get back from the States." he looked a bit apologetic as they didn't know anything about what was going on in the girl's head.

"But how come you only just bonded?" Mrs Lee was genuinely surprised after she realized that the three had been together at any given moment, so this should have happened right after Seol turned 19.

"About that... apparently she took some pills and they blocked the bond...?" Renjun scratched his neck as he himself was unsure about this information, never hearing about the existence of such drugs before.

"Pills? I've never heard of any drugs that are used to manipulate bonds? Did she tell you that?" the confusion was visible on her face as she looked at her son, who finally lifted his eyes from the ground.

"That's what she told me when I confronted her about it, but... I don't know... I don't think I can trust the things she said or the things I heard that day." Donghyuck had his hands on his head, messing up the already messy hair even more and groaning in frustration.

Everything seemed so fine and easy to solve, but now that they talked about it out loud, the weight of it all finally started appearing on their shoulders.

In the end their conversation ended with Mrs Lee suggesting them to visit their family doctor and find out more about their case from him. And then, once Seol had returned from her trip, they would talk it out among themselves, before thinking about their next steps.

Hearing this, the small hope of 'just staying as best friends' slowly started disappearing and both boys feared what the future would have in store for them.