i. - red heels

chapter one,     red heels

     FRESH AIR IS FORBIDDEN in the streets of Ketterdam.

     The air that was struggling to get inside of the woman's lungs, whose steps were met with little taps against the wet stone and mud, mixing together with the blood that has been spilt in those streets countless times.

     Lavender knew what Ketterdam was all about— money. The capital of Kerch was a very attractive spot to the tourists, unravelling various attractions to them. Gambling halls, Menageries, theatres and other celebrations. Everyone was eager to spend their kruge on fake Saints relics and other whatnots.

     But where the woman's steps were echoing— there were no tourists. The Barrel was a place where you should not go alone if you can't protect yourself. When you pass through the Menageries and other attractive locations, all you are left with is an unbelievable stench of piss and smoke.

     "Oh, Saints, my heels are going to be ruined!"

     The woman's voice of disgust surrounded the filthy streets. If there was one thing Lavender treasured more than she is supposed to— it was her spotless crimson heels that made her feel visible. She wasn't afraid of the stares, she could handle them all.

     Her crimson heels were tapping against the wet stone as she was making her way through the night, getting surrounded by the cheers of drunk idiots, rumours that were spread by the poor citizens who just gambled their money away and now they will have to sleep in the mud.

     All those rumours were making her head dizzy— did you know that the dealing man in the Silver Six is skimming? Did you know that one of the girls in the Emerald Palace will pleasure you for money? How low has humanity dropped? Lavender thought, a small tsk leaving her lips.

     It was easy to say that Lavender Elrod despised this city. She was born here, grew up here and left it and she hoped she had left it for good, but now she was here, again... But no one knew her here and she liked to keep it that way. There are always advantages to being a ghost that wanders in the streets.

     And now, she had to get to this city again, to find her idiot brother who started to go to university here a few years ago, but as she found out just a few days after she arrived in Ketterdam— her brother wasn't a student there for years. Plus, that was a good opportunity to escape the village and see some life, but she didn't mean Kerch— This was just simply horrible.

     Lavender stomped to the third gambling hall today to find her brother. Since gambling halls were so popular, there was a huge chance that the stupid oaf will be there instead of getting the promised degree.

     The woman was surprised to see the gambling hall that looked completely uninviting. There were no flashy colours like at the previous ones. This building was painted completely black, matching the mood of the city, but above the grand door stood an oxidized sculpture of a crow and it brought a lopsided smile on the lady's face that quickly faded away. Crows reminded her of her past, but apparently, this whole city is a huge reminder for her of what she lost. Of who she lost.