vii. - the mourning sea

chapter seven,     the mourning sea

     INEJ WAS GETTING BETTER. Thanks to Nina who tailored her wound, slowly stopping the inner bleeding, thanks to Lavender and the transfusion of her blood. It took them both more than four hours to do that since Inej's wound was too close to the heart— they had to be careful.

     Nina was resting as Lavender was stitching the wound together, precisely as Inej seemed to look more lively. As soon as she was done with stitching, she placed a warm wool blanket over the fragile girl, fatigue overtaking Lavender, but she couldn't rest.

     The side wound of Lavender's, that was tailored by Nina was itching like crazy and Inej seemed to have a fever, in addition, she needed to mix some herbs and spread them over the stitches and only then bandage it.

     Jesper stayed there for all of the time, going a few times up to throw up to the sea when it got too much. He admired his sister's bravery and her sharp thinking, but he couldn't forgive himself that she got hurt. It was weird to see her completely devoted to one cause as he hasn't seen her treat someone before. Only now he realized how much he missed out.

"Go to rest, Jes, I will take care of Inej," Lavender softly exclaimed, her voice tired. She walked to her bag and took out some new clothes since the ones she was wearing were stained with blood.

Jesper turned around until she finished changing her clothes into a warmer sweater and some pants and she tied her hair back. "I will stay with you, sis," he silently talked.

"No, it's okay— you look horrible by the way," Lavender pointed out and Jesper's eyes widen out as he tried to brush out his hair with his hands.

"Rude, you are unbelievably rude!" Jesper gasped.

"Get here some cold water and then go to rest, okay?" Lavender exclaimed softly, "I will get some fresh air."

Lavender got to her bag and took out a small bottle where she already had mixed some oils in it. She grabbed it and walked up, feeling how the wind reached her instantly as it was already dark on board.

It was silent, the sea was silent as she heard some snores below here, meaning that most of them were sleeping. Lavender walked closer to the rails, sitting down on the wooden ground and raising her head up to look at the stars. You couldn't see stars in Ketterdam, it was too foggy all the time.

Her lungs felt relieved— finally some fresh air, finally some less pressure. Lavender really need to cough out some mucus, but she didn't want to alert everyone, so kept on swallowing the big lump down her throat. She opened the small bottle and sniffed it as the smell helped her breathe better.

Lavender was a healthy child, ever since she lost her mother and ended up in the children home, her lungs started to go worse. Mediks didn't know what the cause was, Healers couldn't heal her lungs. Lavender knew only one— it was getting worse for her and she won't be able to do anything.