xxvi - all of them have a scheming face now

chapter twenty-six,      all of them have a scheming face now

chapter twenty-six,     all of them have a scheming face now

"YOUR EYE LOOKS BETTER,"Aleksej tried to calm her down, but at this point, a peaceful moment wasn't coming to her in any near future. He was changing the bandage once again, inspecting her eye to see how it was healing. She was seeing something through it, but it was blurry. "No more inflammation around it – it's surprisingly healing."

Lavender looked to the side where a small mirror, which belonged to Nina, was standing. He was right, she didn't look like a rotten corpse anymore, but the wound was visible. It will always be visible.

"You still look beautiful if that's what you're worried about," he noted her silence, placing the bandages down. "Not going to put them anymore – we need to see if your vision can still change."

The red-haired just sighed and nodded, "You think Da will kill me when he sees me like this?"

"He will never ever let you go anywhere," he agreed.

She smiled, longing. "You know that you could leave. No one knows about you – get out of this mess."

"And go where?"

"Find another Grisha and just—"

"Get back to the Little Palace?" Aleksej interrupted her. "Never."

Lavender pushed her hair back and tied it with the red ribbon. "It's dangerous here. I mean—everything's just starting..."

"If you're trying to get rid of me, just say so."

She kicked him in the knee, giving him a glare: "I know you, Aleksej. And you're different and I can't blame you because of this. Ketterdam is infested with death, barely better than the Ice Court—I can't see you get hurt."

"I can protect myself," he disagreed.

"You almost cut off your finger when you tried to throw a knife," she reminded him.

His mouth fell open, the memory coming in and he shook his head, his messy curls covering his face: "I was nine! And if you think I'm useless, I'm still a decent medik."

She hummed and shrugged: "But Kaz will never let you do anything, you understand that, right? You'll probably end up babysitting Kuwei in all of this and don't you dare to disagree with him!"

"I don't like Kaz."

"He doesn't exactly have admirers, now does he?" She pointed out that Kaz was famous for all of the wrong reasons. Saints, when you think about it, he should rot in prison for at least twenty lifetimes, but... No one's perfect, right? "You could leave with my Da," she still didn't let go of the thought of putting Aleksej to safety. "It's a beautiful farm. Peaceful."