xiv - meet me on the other side

Chapter fourteen,     meet me on the other side

Chapter fourteen, meet me on the other side

THE HIGH PITCHED ALARM IN THE DISTANCE WAS WHAT MADE LAVENDER REGAIN HER CONSCIOUSNESS. As soon as she opened her eyes, with one of them she couldn't see even if the bandage was already laying on the floor. Her body was numb, everything hurt and she couldn't breathe in properly. It was a miracle she was still alive.

Lavender didn't let herself think about her injuries, instead, her mind quickly deciphered the alarm sound— the Black Protocol. It only meant that the others got out of the cells and did something reckless. They should have just left once they got out of the cells since the Black Protocol meant their doom.

The woman winced in pain, thinking that others might be dead right now and she let out a wailing cry, clutching her wounded thigh, noticing how red drops were falling onto the marble floor. She was crying blood.

"My lovely Kaelish girl," a voice from the outside was heard and her insides twisted in a sick motion. It was that same damn commander of drüskelle.

Lavender slowly raised her head, meeting the commander's eyes even if her vision was blurry and she felt the panic rise in her throat that she couldn't see properly. However, the woman who stood beside him, made her eyes widen and the girl moved her body back in shock. Nina stood there.

What was she doing there? Why was she there? What was she doing with the commander? Lavender's mind was panicking, but soon the girl noticed the silk drapes Nina was wearing— she was representing a Kaelish woman from a Menagerie. Could it be their new plan?

Lavender just hoped that she was seeing things and that this wasn't true. She hoped the others were on their way back to Ketterdam, all safe and sound and not doing anything drastic.

"Look alive, we have some guests," the commander replied in a cheeky voice and she just threw her head to the side, hiding the bleeding eye, not wanting for Nina to see her like this.

Nina stood there frozen. Getting in with the Menagerie wasn't such a hard task, even if she left two innocent girls unconscious to take their silk drapes. Nina passed the guards without any suspicion, but Inej was left behind... They didn't believe Inej was with the Menagerie since the tattoo wasn't identical to the others. However, Nina knew that Inej will know how to handle herself, that's why Nina got into the party and within minutes she caught the attention of the drüskelle soldiers and their commander.

Only then, when she saw their commander she understood that she made a mistake... The commander was Jarl Brum, the one who was on the ship when she was captured, the one who she thought was dead because the ship crashed. Nina didn't know if Brum recognized her, but even if he did— she was in a very dangerous place right now. The place where they kept Grishas— the old treasury.