xviii - lay it all on the table

chapter eighteen,    lay it all on the table

THEY WERE GETTING CLOSE to Ketterdam and Jesper was dying from the need to discuss what he has heard with Lavender, yet, for some reason - he couldn't.

Jesper Fahey overheard what Kaz and Lavender spoke about when he was getting the ointment and he was stuck with lightning itself, once he realised that Nina was right - they did know each other. And Jesper being Jesper, would talk about this to anyone immediately, but he just couldn't. Because it wasn't something exciting he witnessed. He saw his sister's heart get shattered.

For this reason, Jesper felt raging. He didn't understand how anything couldn't matter when it came to Lavender. He wanted to be mad at Kaz and at Lavender for not knowing this, but he just couldn't because he didn't know what happened. Maybe their past didn't matter and that was enough to keep his mouth shut. At least for now.

He wanted to be a good brother and confront Lavender about that— she cried a few nights and he knew that it wasn't because of the pain. He wanted to calm her down and that everything will be different when they will reach Ketterdam. Saints, they will be rich. But he understood almost immediately that her cries weren't for a broken friendship, it was for her bleeding heart. She loved him.

Lavender deserved better than this. If Kaz knew her, did he really not care about her enough to not let her proceed with this?

Now, he was sitting on the below deck with Lavender, who was strong enough to do things by herself, slowly, of course. The cold was getting better and most of the injuries were slightly tailored by Nina, but Lavender didn't let anyone get a good look at her wounded eye.

There she was, sitting on a chair, a mirror standing on the table in front of her as she was taking deep breaths. Slightly unwrapping the bandage around her head, her lips trembled more and more— she didn't want to look at herself in the mirror. She didn't want to look hideous.

Stopping halfway, she released a shaky breath, turning her head to her brother, who was sitting there with a very concerned face, but he managed to offer her a smile.

"If you don't want to do it— it's okay," he reassured her.

Turning her head to the mirror, she unwrapped some more, "It's already bad that I didn't let anyone check it these days - it can get infected."

Soon enough, the bandage fell on her lap and she covered her mouth so she wouldn't let a sound. The eyebrow and the under-eye were oozing with yellow pus. Her eye was barely open even if it felt as if it was wide open. The eyelid was swollen, painted in the deep shake of purple; slightly enlarged. The white of her eye, which was visible was glassy, almost fake.

She looked hideous.

Feeling the tears that welled in the corners of her eyes made her feel angry. She was never the type of person to feel self-conscious about her looks. She resembled Lily and her mother was one of the most beautiful women she has ever seen in her life. However, that thing looking at her in the mirror resembled the terror she has seen in her mother's dead face, restrained in horror.