xix - dear enough

chapter nineteen,     dear enough

     THE SAFE PLACE was on Black Veil Island. It was completely deserted and it was mostly used for the tombs of the dead ones. Most of the buildings were all out of white marble – eerie and terrifying, but it was a place no one really dared to step one foot in. Some believed that the plague still resides there or they were just afraid of ghosts.

    It wasn't a very pleasant place to be in, but it was safe. Specht was already sailing back, the rest of them were residing in one of the tombs. There were essentials there – some basic furniture. Clearly, someone has been residing here before. Their things were already stuffed on the ground out of the schooner and Lavender found a little bit of solace in wearing her red heels again.

    Her walking was a little bit wobbly at first, but the confidence overtook her quickly and it was her second skin, just like always. The red ribbon was tied around her hand – she found it tied around her heels, but as she remembers she only tied it around one, but maybe her memory was slightly off after such a heist.

    All four of them were worrying – anything could've happened. Something horrible happened if Kaz didn't manage to communicate with them for two hours.

Aleksej helped her to find a little table from the other tombs and set it in the corner of the ones they were inside. She placed her medik stuff on it, and laid it out by a system, preparing to receive someone hurt. She didn't want anyone to be hurt, but the voice inside of her was preparing for it.

     Aleksej was busy asking Nina about her well-being. He was the only one in here who experienced the horrors of jurda parem and actually survived, so he was their best chance to know how to help Nina. It seemed that Nina was doing far better than she was supposed to, even if her sunken cheeks were telling a different story – she wanted more jurda parem, but she wasn't driven off the edge enough to beg for it. Yet.

    Kuwei was all in his notebook, writing. He kept giving her weird looks and she wanted to snap at him, but she didn't know Shu and he didn't really understand Kerch. Clearly, he was confused about her being a Grisha and how she wasn't affected by jurda parem. Truth be told, she doesn't remember much about how they got out of the Ice Court and doesn't want to remember. It didn't matter that she was a Grisha – she won't do anything about it. It ruined her life.

    The ripple of water outside alerted her and she sprinted outside, to see a longboat arriving here, inside a few dark figures residing. The closer it got, the more nervous she felt, but she soon noticed the lanky stance of her brother and she managed to breathe out with some relief. However, it didn't reach the shore and he was already waving for her to come closer.

     Someone got hurt.

     She sprinted forwards, watching the way her brother was carrying someone out of the boat, only to recognise the petite body of Inej. Horror painted her face and she directed her brother into the tomb.