ii. - bitter coffee

chapter two,     bitter coffee

     KAZ NEEDED A CUP of the most bitter coffee there is to exist.

It felt as if he was losing his mind. Maybe, he was just too boastful to say that greed was his lever and his servant. Maybe it was just the time for him to turn crazy.

He was too greedy as he was just getting his plan for the most unbelievable heist in history. Breaking into the Ice Court was a suicide mission, getting out of it was another story. Apart from that, thirty million kruge was that kind of money that could change their lives. And if they die— there is no pity in that.

He was losing his sanity, he believed. The greed was messing with his head— first Jordie, now her... Only she was taller, there was no childish look on her. Her eyes were bright, her Kaelish red hair curly as a piece of velvet was braided into them.

It was Lavender Elrod— the girl that brought him hope.

As soon as their eyes locked, his head filled the usual nightmare of his— Jordie or her, or both of them. He didn't let himself react even if he wanted to throw up. He clutched his cane tighter as his jaw clenched, memories of her getting into his mind. As if the memories weren't there for years already.

"Jesper," Kaz repeated.

"Oh, yeah. Uhm—," Jesper muttered and placed his hand on Lavender's shoulder, making her blink faster and suppress a cough. "This is Lavender Fahey, my sister," Jesper finished.

Sister?

"You didn't say you have a sister," Kaz replied, bitterness in his voice as he sent a glare to Jesper, avoiding looking at Lavender. He hoped she would vanish into a thin air and leave him alone. He didn't want her here.

"The conversation didn't come up," Jesper replied freely and looked at the smaller woman beside him that was silent. Kaz knew she recognized him.

Why are you not saying anything? Do you believe me if I act like this? Do you think I don't remember you? Say something... Kaz thought.

Kaz couldn't be here anymore, the wondering, the memories, the tension was killing him. "You can chatter with your sister later. You have some work," he repeated, turning around, preparing to walk away, but then he halted. "Or is she the one I asked?"

Lavender's eyebrows shot up as she was confused about what was going on. Jesper's body stood still for a few seconds which was unusual since he was only in motion. Jesper totally forgot that Kaz told him to find a medik for a job and instead, he kept on gambling.

"No, uh— No! I am going to get a medik right now," Jesper exclaimed as there was no way in hell that he will tell Kaz that his sister was a medik too. A very good one, either. Jesper didn't want his sister to get involved in this business.